Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALevine
What's DOS?
Views: 1,888
Message 1 of 7

X1 Yoga - Mouse pointer disappears after tablet use

I have an X1 Yoga (1st generation) laptop. Whenever I flip the screen around to use it as a tablet, and then flip it back to resume using it as a laptop, the mouse pointer disappears. The touch screen continues to function, but the touchpad fails to work. I can get it back by closing the computer and then waking it up again, but it is quite annoying to do this. Is this a known problem?

Ambico
Paper Tape
Views: 1,846
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Yoga - Mouse pointer disappears after tablet use

1. I don't think that is an isolated problem. I have seen similar posts for various Lenovo products, but yours is the first I have seen described exactly the same as the problem I am having. I have a Lenovo 710 15" running windows 10. I have gone online to search on the subject, and have found others have a similar problem they seem to think is related to Windows 10. The difference there is that the arrow is disappearing randomly.  A restart or log out brings back the pointer as does yours. I have also seen it suggested that Control, Alt, Delete then Escape brings it back, but that does not work on mine (maybe yours). I also can see where the arrow pointer would be if it were visible.  If I move the mouse around, I can tell it's still calculating where the mouse pointer is located but there's no image to confirm the location. The finger pointer will appear on active links and certain areas will be highlighted, but the arrow is not visible. I'm going to continue research and will stay in touch if you want. Maybe between the two of us, we can find a solution.  I am very happy with the 710 so far otherwise.

Ambico
ALevine
What's DOS?
Views: 1,822
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your response. My situation is a bit different, in that I don't see the trace of the mouse pointer. Also, when I go to Settings > Mouse > Additional Mouse Options, all the settings on the ThinkPad tab (namely the options to enable the TrackPoint and TouchPad) get grayed out. When I put the computer to sleep and then reopen it, those options return. So it's not a graphics issue - the mouse itself is somehow getting shut down. I tried updating the driver, but that didn't help.

Ambico
Paper Tape
Views: 1,807
Message 4 of 7

So I take it then you don't use a Bluetooth or usb mouse that might be the cause of the problem. You have probably already done this, but it not, try using the F6 to turn off the mouse pad, then go to tablet and back and see what happens.

I am using a Logitech m720 that is multi computer capable, and it occurred to me earlier today that may be what is causing my problem, but alas ...no. I am, however going to turn the mouse off again and try what I suggested to you.
If that doesn't work, the next move I make is to go to Best Buy and flip the 710 they have on display into tablet mode to see if that one has the same problem, or if it is something I have done. It would be nice to isolate this problem a little to know more specifically what to look for. While I'm at Best Buy, I'll stop by the Geeks and see if I can pick their brain a little. Will keep you informed. Even though a restart makes everything ok, I don't intend to give up on this. I rather enjoy a problem to work on.
Ambico
Paper Tape
Views: 1,790
Message 5 of 7

Ok, Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome with you. I was searching through just a few minutes ago, and happened on this linkhttps://dottech.org/13949/how-to-find-your-mouse-cursor-after-you-have-lost-it/

The setting the link suggested was only supposed to give an indication where the mouse was when you press the right or left control key, not to make it appear.  Well, I thought that was better than nothing so I tried it.  As you will read, the setting is labled "Show location of mouse when I press the Control key." When I checked the box and hit apply...babam...the mouse pointer appeared again. I don't know for sure if it was related to what I did or if it was coincedental, but the arrow came back into view before I even had a chance to press the Control Key. I do not know if this will solve the problem perminantly; time will tell on that, but its a start anyway. I  wanted to pass this on to you in hopes it would help.

billder99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 809
Message 6 of 7

Ambico:  My problem is exactly as you describe. When I use the touch pad I can see where the cursor is by things highlighting, but I can't see the actual cursor arrow. I will follow this thread closely, hopefully one of us will find a solution.

billder99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 803
Message 7 of 7

Ambico:  On mouse settings I tried your tip "Show location of mouse when I press the Control key"... the circle thing works, but cursor still gone. Any further development with your efforts?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors