Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 3,662
Message 1 of 44

X1 Yoga OLED WWAN/NFC Questions

Hello everyone,

Just ordered an X1 Yoga with the OLED display and didn't see an option for WWAN or NFC cards on configuration although I see WWAN as an option on the model without OLED.  Is there a reason for this?  Can I add the antenna kit and card later?  Same question for NFC although I didn't see NFC as an option on either model.

Thanks.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 3,656
Message 2 of 44

Re: X1 Yoga OLED WWAN/NFC Questions

For unknown reasons, Lenovo appear to have stopped selling NFC on all X1 Yogas. The parts are still available from Lenovo Parts. The NFC antenna and NFC card are relatively cheap. The cable required to connect the NFC card to the motherboard is only available as part of a kit that is rather expensive - so if that cable is missing, it will not be a cheap upgrade.

Previous posts on the forum suggest that Lenovo do not support WWAN or WiGig on the OLED version of the X1 Yoga. It is unclear whether this is a physical limitation (no room for the antennas) or a regulatory issue (unwillingness to qualify the OLED version for WWAN and WiGig). I would proceed on the basis that there is no way to add WWAN or WiGig to an OLED X1 Yoga.

_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 3,645
Message 3 of 44

Guessing it's a regulatory thing as I've read other users outside of the US have the ability to order the combination.
David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 3,633
Message 4 of 44

I've just checked the Lenovo UK online store. Currently, the only X1 Yoga OLED specification that can be ordered online has the EM7455 WWAN card included, so there is clearly no bar to selling this combination in the EU / ETSI regulatory zone. There is no way to order an X1 Yoga OLED with WiGig online.

Fitting WWAN antennas to an X1 Yoga is a right pain, involving stripping down a significant proportion of the machine. Fitting the WWAN card is straightforward so long as WWAN antennas are present. There seems to be no way to clarify whether WWAN antennas are included on a machine ordered without WWAN or WiGig.

WWAN and WiGig are mutually exclusive on the IPS machines, as the WiGig antenna uses the same physical location as one of the WWAN antennas. I suspect the same limitation applies to the OLED machines.

_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 3,625
Message 5 of 44

I have no issue with stripping the machine down. It would be nice to have confirmation that if I spend 200 dollars on the card and antennas that they will work. I suppose I could wait until I have the machine and check for the antennas.
guho
Punch Card
Views: 3,549
Message 6 of 44

I am in the same boat. Ordered x1 yoga oled. Coming tomorrow. Eager to add WWAN and suspect antennae might not be preinstalled. The x1 yoga hardware maintenance manual lists loads of steps to get to the antennae. I wonder what is the true minimal set of removal actions needed in order to retrofit WWAN antennae. The WLAN/WWAN antenna kit part number is 01AW958. I think there is a way to enter your serial number to see the exact parts in your machine. Then you will not need to open it just to see whether the WWAN antennae are present. The part number for the WLAN-only antennae are: 00JT840 and 00JT841.

_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 3,542
Message 7 of 44

I decided to order the antenna and card and now have both. I get the laptop next Monday and will update this thread.  Looking through the service manual, I don't see anything too intimidating. Although removing the system board seems to be unnecessary.  I'll report back next week.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 3,540
Message 8 of 44

The chances of Parts Lookup displaying the correct FRUs for your machine if it was Configured To Order are low. Parts Lookup says my X1 Yoga has an EM7455 WWAN card, US keyboard and a US power cable. In fact, it has WiGig (so no WWAN card or antennas, and no way to retrofit WWAN because the WiGig antenna occupies the same space as one WWAN antenna), a UK keyboard and UK power cable. A lot of the 'nuts and bolts' FRUs simply don't show, including the WLAN and WiGig antennas.

The sticker on the outer box of the machine contains a more accurate summary of the configuration, but doesn't go down to FRU level.

If anyone opens up their X1 Yoga, I'm interested to know whether the NFC cable (that goes between the system board and the NFC card) is fitted even if there is no NFC card. I suspect it will be missing from my X1 Yoga, meaning I have to order the (rather expensive) miscellaneous parts kit FRU that is the only way of ordering it as a part.

_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 3,536
Message 9 of 44

Will let you know next week. Although, the US and U.K. Builds are different because the U.K. Can order the EM7455 with OLED but we cannot. That's why I suspect it will work.  Just need to do the legwork to get the antennae in.

guho
Punch Card
Views: 3,464
Message 10 of 44

Here is the inside of my x1 yoga oled. Hopefully this will answer your question about the NFC cable as it is not obvious to me.

Also since I am interested in WWAN I made a detailed picture of the WWAN area. There is one antenna cable in that area going somewhere deeper not to the m.2 wwan slot. This makes me think my laptop came with the wigig antenna kit, not the wlan-only or wwan antenna kits.

BTW I love this laptop. I've always wanted an OLED laptop and am coming from a 13" Vaio SVZ which was very full-featured (fingerprint, mc7355 wwan, blu-ray docking station) and this was the first laptop is a worthy successor. But I do want WWAN badly so I am very curious to hear how _AD_'s antenna and wwan card installation goes.Entire Inside.jpgEntire InsideWWAN Area.jpgWWAN area

Top Kudoed Authors