Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kanthai
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,817
Message 11 of 45

Re: X1 Yoga OLED WWAN/NFC Questions

Hi, X1 Yoga OLED here. I got it without the WWAN option but decided to order the required parts anyway. The WWAN work perfectly.

The first thing you need is the card itself (EM7455 or ME906s depending on your preference). I got the ME906s myself. The other thing is the antenna (01AW958). This antenna kit has 4 antennas (2 for WWAN and 2 for WLAN). The two you need is the antenna with red cable and blue cable.

The installation was a pain but doable with proper tools. You guys will need some prying tool, screwdriver and thermal compound. Be sure to prepare ESD-proof tools and ESD mat, as you will need to remove the motherboard. 

Disassemble instruction can be found here. You will need to disable the internal battery in BIOS before any disassemble attempt. The order are as followed: rear cover, speakers, battery, M.2 SSD, WLAN card, thermal fan assembly, motherboard, hinge, hinge cables, strip bezel assembly and OLED panel. The part when you remove the OLED panel, just pry along the edge with plastic prying tool, pushing the panel down like they showed in the video with LCD panel didn't work. There are many clips along the way, so proceed with patience and caution. The antenna with red cable go into left socket underneath OLED panel. Just remove any adhesive backing and place it in position, then connect the sensor cable on the left antenna (the black one with many tiny cables) to the adjacent connector on the sensor board on the right. Route the cable along the cable guide (you can see the grey WLAN cable, use that as reference). Stop at the hinge, then proceed with the right blue cable antenna. You need to route the blue cable ON TOP of the black WLAN cable (there are enough space, believe me) until you reach the hinge. Screw the hinge onto the case, then route the red cable and black cable along the cable guide on the case. Do the same with blue and grey cable, then put everything back together in the reverse order. Before you close the rear cover, put the WWAN card in the socket and connect the red cable to MAIN and blue cable to AUX. Close the rear cover and pop sim card in. Boot it up, download and install the respective WWAN card driver from Lenovo support page. No need to set anything, just let windows 10 download the proper APN for your ISP.

Enjoy.

Sorry, I got no photos for you, but I will be happy to answer the questions you may have.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 4,809
Message 12 of 45

There is no NFC cable in your machine, guho - it would fit in the connector by the top left of the crossed out battery symbol on your battery (in the orientation of your overall picture), which is empty.

The large cable that fits into the connector behind the SIM slot is the cable to the display panel - it's nothing to do with WWAN. The WWAN card fits between the unoccupied black screw in your close-up picture and the connector with the LAN MAC Address label on it.

You have no WWAN antennas. You can see the display panel cable and one other cable (one of the WLAN antennas) through the right hinge in your overall picture. The large cable through the left hinge goes to the camera, and the smaller cable is the other WLAN antenna. One WWAN antenna cable goes through each hinge if you have these antennas. If you had the WiGig antenna, you'd have two antenna cables through one side only (if I remember correctly, it's the side by the WWAN slot).

guho
SCSI Port
Views: 4,786
Message 13 of 45

Near the left hinge I see a black and a grey antenna cable but I can't see the grey one actually going into the left hinge. I do see black ones going into the left and right hinges. Mysterious! Anyway, I just ordered the WWAN antenna kit, which cost a ridiculous $43+shipping+tax for a total of US$60. The Lenovo 00jt542 EM7455 is on Amazon for $160. So it costs $220 to add WWAN. Hopefully my install goes as well as kanthai's whose writeup is much appreciated.

guho
SCSI Port
Views: 4,750
Message 14 of 45

@_AD_: Any news on how your antennae and WWAN retrofit went? Thanks! Are you guys able to do this without causing any scratches or breaking off any of the clips?
_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 4,746
Message 15 of 45

Hi Guho,

Was planning on replying this morning.Smiley Happy. Everything went well and it's functioning as expected.  I'd say the brunt of the work is routing the antennae through the guides and I did a little more work to scrape the thermal compound on the CPU and apply Arctic Silver as it was a bit sloppy from the factory.  One tip is to pull hard on the hinge cable holder as it's not really rubber like the training videos show.  It's a piece of hard plastic that clicks into place.  I didn't break any clips on the display as got the bottom edge up first and carefully used a spudger to pry around.   I opted for the Sierra Wireless EM7455 and as a bonus you get GPS Smiley Happy.  Also when I was in there I upgraded to a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro drive which also went without a hitch.  

Let me know if you have any questions!

guho
SCSI Port
Views: 4,730
Message 16 of 45

I got the antenna kit and the em7455 is on the way. Unfortunately my x1 yoga oled is on its way to the ibm/lenovo depot, because the micro-SD card slot isn't working. Locking mechanism does not engage. I would counsel everyone to check their slot while still under warranty.

_AD_
Paper Tape
Views: 4,725
Message 17 of 45

I have a microsd card in there now so I know mine works.  I did notice that the touchpad is a bit loose on taps but not enough to want to get it repaired.  No other issues.

Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 4,691
Message 18 of 45

Hi, fellows.

Bad news for all X1 (Carbon, Yoga, OLED, etc):

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-dont-support-SSD-at-WWAN-slot/td-...

So if you already bought X1 Yoga without WWAN-modem - you will never add it and WWAN-slot is absolutely useless! Smiley Sad

PS Also dont forget about very low frequency 200Hz PWM-flickering that damage users eyes!

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-OLED-Convertible-Review.169458.0.html

Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 4,637
Message 19 of 45

Can you clarify - why you make "full disassemble" with removing battery-fan-motherboard?? Maybe it will be enough just to open bottom cover, parse hinges and remove LCD?

Also I dont understand about SIM-card slot - does it connected or it too needs some cable purchase?

guho
SCSI Port
Views: 4,621
Message 20 of 45

Perhaps you should read the service manual and watch the video linked earlier in the thread. The Sim slot is there and prewired to the wwan slot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors