Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boulund
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,249
Message 1 of 84

X1 Yoga OLED brightness issues

Hi,

I've had my X1 Yoga for about two months now, running Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview 1607 (build 14915.1000).

Prior to joining the Windows 10 Insider Preview program (it took about a week for it to update to the insider preview builds from the official builds), I had severe issues with the brightness control of my OLED screen. I could not turn the brightness up to the higher settings (90-100%), because the screen would become entirely black. Also, somewhere in the range of 75%-95% brightness, the screen would be completely blue, as if no other colors were displayed in the OLED panel.

This was of course unusable. Coupled with the automatic display brightness adjustments it gave a really crappy experience, as the brightness could suddenly automatically be turned up really high (into the unusable blue-then-black range), unless the display was set to a really low brightness setting. On several occasions I thought the computer had locked up/died on me after disconnecting it from my OneLink+ dock, only to later realize that I could just lower the brightness to force the display back into actually showing something. 

Sometime after getting the first Insider Preview builds, which was also accompanied by some Lenovo updates (unfortunately probably masking what is the real cause of this issue), I noticed I couldn't actually change the display brightness at all anymore. It's stuck! 

This issue persists, and I have been unable to change the display brightness of my OLED screen for a few weeks now. I saw the other threads on the topic [1,2], but the suggested solution(s) do not work for me. 

Is there any work being done from Lenovo's side on looking for a fix for this issue? Considering that the display brightness adjustment (kind of) worked before, I don't think it's a hardware issue (but perhaps the blue-blackout thing is, however). Is there anyone else that has experienced similar issues as me?

[1] https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-Brightness-button-does-not-work/td-p/...

[2] https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-Can-t-adjust-brightness/td-p/3389201

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,072
Message 2 of 84

Re: X1 Yoga OLED brightness issues

Hello,

If Video driver version is ver 4482 or greater one, please use the video driver ver 4474.

If you still see the issue, please follow operation below.

1. Boot the system and press F1 key while Lenovo logo is displayed to go into ThinkPad Setup
  2. Go to “Security” tab by using Left/Right cursor key and select “Secure Boot” by Up/Down cursor key, then press Enter key
  3. If the “Secure Boot” is “Enabled”, press ESC key twice, select “Exit Discarding Changes” by Up/Down cursor key and press Enter key twice to reboot the system.  Go to step 5
  4. If the Secure Boot is “Disabled”, press ESC key and move to “Startup” tab by Left/Right cursor key.  Make sure “UEFI/Legacy Boot” is set as “UEFI Only” and “CSM Support” is set as “No”. Press F10 key to save and exit the ThinkPad Setup and reboot the system.
  5. When boot the system, locate the attached “X1YogaOLED.re_”  file to the Desktop and rename as “X1YogaOLED.reg” .
  6. Double click the “X1YogaOLED.reg file and allow to execute the registry patch
  7. Restart the system.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Former Employee
Views: 10,042
Message 3 of 84

In response to customer reports that adjusting screen brightness to 100% the display unexpectedly turns off on X1 Yoga ThinkPads, Lenovo has requested a video driver update from Intel.

In the meantime, please delete the current driver and install Intel HD Graphics Driver v.20.19.15.4474. It can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds105466

Thank you,

boulund
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,036
Message 4 of 84

Hi!

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for not answering sooner. There was an issue preventing me from logging in to the Lenovo forums yesterday. 

I was apparently running Intel driver version 4495, and have downgraded to version 4474 as instructed. I'm a bit confused by your instructions, and don't understand what .reg file you are referring to. Is it available somewhere in the Support driver/downloads? 

Downgrading the Intel driver to 4474 resolved the brightness adjustment issue. But the blue-then-blackout issue still persists. At 83% brightness, the display loses all red color (and possibly green) and becomes very blue, and at around 85-90% and up to 100% it is completely black. 

How can I force the downgraded Intel driver to not be updated automatically by Windows update? My computer automatically downloads and installs Windows updates at night when I'm not using the computer, in turn forcing me to reinstall the old driver every morning...

boulund
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,035
Message 5 of 84

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Downgrading the driver works. The 4474 driver takes care of my brightness adjustment issue, but reintroduces the blackout issue at high brightness (above 83%). However, it seems Windows update automatically updates the driver every day, forcing me to reinstall it manually. Can this be fixed somehow, preferably without disabling automatic updates? 

Former Employee
Views: 10,031
Message 6 of 84

Boulund,

There is another choice to outright disabling Windows 10 updates. Option #3 in this Forbes article provides a way to see updates before they are installed: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/26/windows-10-how-to-stop-forced-updates/#75f112285d...

As for the 100% brightness setting causing the display to blank, Lenovo has requested an updated driver from Intel to resolve this issue. When it is released, it will be available in the same location where v. 4474 can currently be downloaded: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds105466

Thank you,

boulund
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,642
Message 7 of 84

Sure, I could disable the automatic updates, but I'm not really interested in that solution as that would kind of forego the benefit of being in the Insider Preview-program all together. 

Disregarding that, there was an update to the Intel drivers released on 2016 September 21, to version 21.20.16.4505. That driver version fixed the issue with the display becoming entirely black at above 85% somewhere, but the issue with the display being blue is even worse. Now the display is completely dark blue at any brightness setting above 44%. However, it appears (to me at least, without any proper point of reference), that the entire intended brightness span of the display is now crammed into the region between 0% and 44%. The display feels a tad too bright at 0%, but it's definitely usable even in dark environments without blinding myself and eating all the battery. At 44% the display appears about as bright as my two other monitors that I've got attached via the dock, so that's at least ok. At 45% and above all other colors dissappear and everything becomes very dark blue (completely unusable). 

I hope you are still pursuing this issue, as this is ridiculous(!). A brand new Lenovo laptop that cannot adjust its brightness settings properly, several months after release.

All the best,

Fredrik

alternize
Serial Port
Views: 9,432
Message 8 of 84

I have a very similar issue, but in my case the display gradually turns turquose for all brightness settings >91%. pictures and a video here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/build-14951-screen-t...

I've basically tried everything to get the brightness working again to no avail.

ericjt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,069
Message 9 of 84

I have exactly the same problem as described here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-OLED-brightness-issues/m-p/3483794#M7...

Is there any solution to it? Could it be a problem with the display itself rather than the Intel driver? I have 2 DELL monitors attached to the X1 Yoga OLED through a OneLink+ docking station and they both don't have any blue tint / display issues.

Also, when applying the "RavPWM.reg" registry fix (found here: http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/ds118463) manually to the registry, the monitor works without any blue tint but I cannot adjust the brightness anymore.

I just want to make sure that what causes these problems before having the display replaced through Lenovo / IBM.

alternize
Serial Port
Views: 9,044
Message 10 of 84

the tint issue is *only* visible on the OLED display.

the mentioned ravpwm.reg does not do anything for my oled display... the readme.txt specifically says its for the non-oled yoga version.

can you confirm that you do not have any color issue when you're setting the oled screen to 100% through task notification area -> right click power icon -> Windows Mobility Center -> display brightness?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors