Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sstahn
Paper Tape
Views: 2,491
Message 1 of 5

X1 Yoga OLED dual UHD 4k support and onelink+ dock

About a week ago I received my X1 Yoga (OLED; Type 20FQ, 20FR) and the OneLink+ dock (with 2 Displayports). I have 2 Dell P2715Q UHD (technically UHD but putting 4k here as a search term) monitors on my desk, with displayport and HDMI input options. Drivers on the laptop are up to date (as of 22-Jul-2016) with Windows 10.

So, for those curious, these are the resolutions I can acheive.

Via OneLink+ dock:

1 UHD screen (via Displayport on dock; Displayport and HDMI on laptop are disabled) + laptop display (WQHD)

No matter what I try, I can't get both UHD screens running at the same time, from the Displayports on the dock. This seem to be because the ports detect both screens as UHD and simply disable display to one of them. (I can 'see' the screen in the display settings, it's just I can only turn on one at a time.) Note a Displayport-to-HDMI adapter in one of the OneLink+ ports works but does not change the number of screens situation.

From the laptop directly:

2 UHD and internal display (WQHD) work fine - i.e. all 3 screens at native resolution.

Note the Intel driver shows the UHD via Displayport as 60p and the UHD via HDMI as 29p, which works well for me. (If I set the HDMI to 30p it sets the UHD to 59p... go figure.) Internal WQHD shows as 60p.

So... given the OneLink+ dock seems to disable funcionality of the inbuilt graphics chipset, I've reverted back to plugging my screens into the laptop directly (and a USB hub for 'things' and ethernet). Effectively, for this screen combo, the OneLink+ dock is a step backwards... (fortunately I have a different laptop here in the office that will happily utilise the dock instead)

I hope this helps someone.

sstahn
Paper Tape
Views: 2,486
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Yoga OLED dual UHD 4k support and onelink+ dock

Note I really like the X1 Yoga OLED - all my business laptop needs (light, high res, digital ink, 4G) in one package!

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,438
Message 3 of 5

Hi!

Actually the OneLink+ has some limits on what resolutions it will allow. We also had some trouble with high res displays. Certain combinations are allowed, others do not work that well.

Refer to this page to see the different combinations: https://support.lenovo.com/fi/en/documents/acc100252

This page says: Notice: As long as you attached a 4K monitor to the dock, regardless what resolution you set up, your display capability is limited to single external monitor output. It`s not supported to attach a second monitor.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52, X1 Yoga (1st gen) | YOGA C630 WOS
sstahn
Paper Tape
Views: 2,422
Message 4 of 5

Agree, the page listed does state different combinations will / will not work. However at the time I looked, over a month ago before purchasing, that page had no details regarding what the X1 Gen4 or X1 Yoga would allow via the onelink+ dock, noting that the chipset (Intel HD Graphics 520) didn't seem to be listed... and given the onelink+ is essentially a passthru dock, it seemed the advice I was given on the phone (2x UHD would be fine, though one would be 60p and the other 30p, which suits me well enough) would be correct.

No matter... this whole post wasn't to seek a resolution to an issue (maybe a little bit of a pun, intended) but to state what I have found, with the drivers/firmware/hardware at this time. Things change, frequently. But for anyone searching, my notes above are observations at this time.

Biglou1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,685
Message 5 of 5

I have a new X1 Yoga for work along with my team, we purchased the Onelink+ to use with all our dual monitors. However, only one monitor is able to get 3840 x 2160 with the next monitor maxing at 1920 x 1080? The manual shows it supports dual monitors via DP at 3840 x 2160. What gives? help pls

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors