Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justinaltman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,958
Message 1 of 68

X1 Yoga + OneLink unable to use Ethernet port - Windows 10

I have been having a problem with my ethernet port on my OneLink Pro+ Dock connected to my X1 Yoga almost since the day I received it.  If you undock the laptop and then reconnect the laptop to the dock, the ethernet port on the dock will not function.  The only way I have found to get it to function is by unplugging all connectors from the dock (including power) with the laptop connected and then plug everything back into the dock.  Only after doing this will I get status lights on ethernet port and have any connectivity.  Everything works fine with a USB ethernet dongle, but I should be able to use the built in one on the dock itself.

This problem is identical to the issue that has been solved for Windows 7 users - see below thread.  Please address this for Windows 10 users.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Gen-4-Onelink-Dock-Ethernet-Sometim...

Moderator comment: Subject edited to clarify model.

Guru
Views: 3,941
Message 2 of 68

Re: X1 Carbon 2 + OneLink unable to use Ethernet port

Hi.

Just to validate something.

Have you updated the X1 Carbon 2 to the latest BIOS and also updated  to the latest firmware of the OneLink+?

There is firmware - V2.30.000 22 Mar 2016 for the dock.

https://support.lenovo.com/ec/es/documents/acc100252

Please also post the full model number of your X1 Carbon.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

justinaltman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,919
Message 3 of 68

Thanks for the advice.  The firmware was up to date.  I did update the BIOS, but no luck there.  I am assuming the same fix for Windows 7 should do it if there can be an updated driver released for Windows 10.  From the looks of the other thread, the new 3.0 USB Driver fixed the issue on Win 7 machines.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,897
Message 4 of 68

Good day.

Please confirm which X1 ThinkPad you have: Carbon (as in title) or Yoga (as in msg 1 body text).

Thanks.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

justinaltman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,878
Message 5 of 68

Re: X1 Yoga + OneLink unable to use Ethernet port

It is a X1 Yoga. I think the auto search changed the title. Sorry

Moderator comment: Thanks for confirming. Subject edited.

AngryJay
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,839
Message 6 of 68

I am experiencing a similar problem with X1 Yoga (i7; Windows 10 Pro) and Onelink+ dock. I have 2 docks (one at home and one at work). Onelink+ is a very unstable piece of hardware. Its behavior is very erratic and hard to predict. The problem is so weird that our IT support staffs have surrendered. Here is the problem:

(1) The ethernet port works at home. I connect 2 monitors (one displayport (DP) and one VGA) to the dock. The ethernet connect is not stable and often disconnects (especially after sleep); if this happens, I have to reboot or disable/enable the port. Very annoying, but it at least works most of the time.

(2) Strangely, the ethernet port does NOT work at work. My monitors at work uses DP (display port). When the monitors are not connected and the laptop is shut down before connection, the ethernet connection works. But when a monitor (or monitors) are connected, the ethernet disconnects. The disconnection sometimes happens when other types of devices (e.g., mouse, keyboard, or hard drive).

(3) I swapped my home and work docks to see if this behavior happens because the dock at work is defective. But the work dock works at home but the home dock doesn't work at work. So it has been established that hardware is not the culprit.

These observations suggest that (1) there is some sort of conflict between the DPs and ethernet port (but this theory is not strong because the ethernet port works at home even though one of my monitors is connected through DP) or (2) the power adapter is not supplying sufficient power to drive DPs or (3) Onelink+ is simply a piece of crap.

This is so frustrating. I paid top $$$ (the top of the line X1 Yoga + 2 Onelink+ + 2 travel adapter). I should've bought Surface Book..... Lenovo, fix this. I've been loyal to Thinkpad since 1992 (TP700), but this may be my last.

Guru
Views: 3,834
Message 7 of 68

Hi AngryJay

Can you please specify a little bit more about what does happens when the ethernet port stops working?

- Does the ethernet network card dissapear from the Windows Device Manager when it stops working?

- When it stops working, on the command line (cmd.exe) does the "ipconfig"  command shows you that you no longer has IP?

- Does the lights on the the back of the ethernet port shutsdown when it is not working?

I would recommend that your IT support staff open up a ticket with Lenovo to get formal support.

Also check in case you are using the latest firmware on the dock and latest BIOS on the Thinkpads.

My ideas of what else to try will be to do more "trial and error" with the monitors, cable and/or adapters that you are using at work. If you can swap momentanly to other monitors,  cables or adapters and see if the ethernet keeps working it may pin-point which hardware mix is generating this problem.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

AngryJay
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,766
Message 8 of 68

Hi Martiniturbide,

Thank you for your advice. I will try your suggestions in the next couple of days and report back.

But it is Lenovo that should solve this problem but not us. There are quite a number of people who are experiencing the same/similar issue. I was so furious when they marked this problem "solved" in a previous post (windows 7). Lenovo is getting worse in every new generation.....
Former Employee
Views: 3,741
Message 9 of 68

Re: X1 Yoga + OneLink unable to use Ethernet port - Windows 10

I have escalated customer reports of no Ethernet connection on OneLink+ Pro docks when connected to X1 Carbon 4th Gen (type 20FB and 30FC) and X1 Yoga ThinkPads running Windows 10 to Think Engineering for a solution.

This issue was previously resolved via USB 3.0 driver for customers running Windows 7.

I will post again when I have an update.

Thank you,

ua951
Paper Tape
Views: 3,656
Message 10 of 68

Re: X1 Yoga + OneLink unable to use Ethernet port - Windows 10

Just for the record, I am experiencing the same issue.

Part No:  X1 Carbon (4th Gen) 20FBCTO1WW

OneLink+ Dock

Updated dock firmware and BIOS to latest versions.

EDIT:  After searching the interwebs I found a simple solution that seems to work (at least for me):

UNPLUG the DisplayPort cable first, then UNPLUG the OneLink+ cable, then RECONNECT the OneLink+ cable (now the ethernet port works fine), then RECONNECT the DisplayPort (to get the external monitor back).

Why that works is a mystery, but until Lenovo figures it out hopefully this will help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors