Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,357
Message 1 of 11

X1 Yoga + Sierra EM7455: SIM Cards Not Being Detected

I recently installed an EM7455 LTE modem (FRU 00JT542) and antenna kit (FRU 01AW958) in my X1 Yoga running Windows 10 Pro.

Drivers installed fine and I have nothing unidentified in Device Manager, and "Cellular" exists in the networking panel (when you click on the network icon in the taskbar).

However, none of my SIM cards are being detected by the system. I've tried T-Mobile and Verizon SIM cards (both verified working in other devices) to no avail -- Windows keeps telling me to insert a SIM.

I spent all afternoon on the phone with half a dozen Lenovo support reps (and have a ticket open with them) but we haven't made any headway yet. Here are some things we tried:

• Different Windows 10 installations (the original image on the supplied SSD vs. the one I created and have been using on my 950 Pro): no effect

• The Windows 7 Mobile Broadband Activation tool: error

• Various Gobi 5000 Drivers: no effect

• Updating UEFI: no effect

• Windows Troubleshooting: useless

I'm beginning to think it may be a hardware issue with the SIM slot but the reps haven't been willing to admit as much. In addition, I only have the depot warranty which I've heard atrocious things about, so I'd like to avoid that. I was also informed that they don't allow self-replacement of system boards so worst case I'll have to shell out for an onsite warranty.

I'll take any suggestions -- even if they're shots in the dark!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,313
Message 2 of 11

Re: X1 Yoga + Sierra EM7455: SIM Cards Not Being Detected

Hello and wecome.

Make sure the wwan adapter is enabled in the BIOS Setup: Security menu -> I/O Port Access.

Did you power off the laptop completely (via Shift, for example), unplug the AC adapter and disable the laptop battery in the BIOS Setup while the wwan card installed? If no, repeat the procedure: power off the laptop completely, disable the battery, unplug the AC adapter, disassemble the laptop, remove the wwan card, wait a couple of minuts, assemble the parts, try to use the wwan card.

Or, at least, you could perform the UEFI/BIOS/EC reset: disable the battery, unplug the AC adapter, press and hold for 20...30 seconds the power button. Then load default UEFI BIOS settings.

Anyway, the em7455 device must exist in the Device Manager (Network Adapter category) in order to Windows could work with wwan card. Windows 8 and above supports em7455 natively, w/out manufacturer's (Sierra) drivers installed.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

BeesePM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,301
Message 3 of 11

I have seen this on a couple of X1 Carbon g4 and the strange fix was to open the base cover and boot up once. Windows detcted the card perfectly fine when booting with the backplate removed. Probably not advisable to do this as you might damage components but I do know that it worked for me. Remove the backplate and place the laptop on it to protect the components and boot up with the SIM inserted. After that I put the cover back on and the card remains to get detected. Also, dont try to hotswap the SIM, I was told that is not supported.

dlv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,290
Message 4 of 11

@x220forme wrote:
Hello and wecome.

Make sure the wwan adapter is enabled in the BIOS Setup: Security menu -> I/O Port Access.

Did you power off the laptop completely (via Shift, for example), unplug the AC adapter and disable the laptop battery in the BIOS Setup while the wwan card installed? If no, repeat the procedure: power off the laptop completely, disable the battery, unplug the AC adapter, disassemble the laptop, remove the wwan card, wait a couple of minuts, assemble the parts, try to use the wwan card.

Or, at least, you could perform the UEFI/BIOS/EC reset: disable the battery, unplug the AC adapter, press and hold for 20...30 seconds the power button. Then load default UEFI BIOS settings.

Anyway, the em7455 device must exist in the Device Manager (Network Adapter category) in order to Windows could work with wwan card. Windows 8 and above supports em7455 natively, w/out manufacturer's (Sierra) drivers installed.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. I've seen quite a few of your posts while trying to troubleshoot. Here are the results of the steps you have suggested:

• WWAN adapter enabled in UEFI: check
  • Disable battery -> remove WWAN card -> reinsert WWAN card: no effect
  • Reset UEFI to default: no effect

I can confirm that the EM7455 appears in Device Manager under Network Adapters (Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A) with no errors.

In addition, I have run the tests you mentioned in this thread (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1G2-SIM-card-not-recognized-SOLVED/td-p/1707...) and these are the outputs:

Screenshot (7).png

dlv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,289
Message 5 of 11

@BeesePM wrote:

I have seen this on a couple of X1 Carbon g4 and the strange fix was to open the base cover and boot up once. Windows detcted the card perfectly fine when booting with the backplate removed. Probably not advisable to do this as you might damage components but I do know that it worked for me. Remove the backplate and place the laptop on it to protect the components and boot up with the SIM inserted. After that I put the cover back on and the card remains to get detected. Also, dont try to hotswap the SIM, I was told that is not supported.

Just tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I've yet to hotswap the SIM since I've read that too.

dlv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,271
Message 6 of 11

It ended up being a hardware problem with the SIM card slot. Upgraded to onsite warranty and had a guy come out and change out the system board. Everything is fine now. Thanks for your help!

boostnoz
What's DOS?
Views: 10,136
Message 7 of 11

Fanfold, did your T-mobile SIM work?

dlv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,135
Message 8 of 11

@boostnoz wrote:

Fanfold, did your T-mobile SIM work?

Yes it does.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 9,828
Message 9 of 11
Moved:

coskun_temp
Punch Card
Views: 7,994
Message 10 of 11

It is funny how the sim card slot is designed to be a part of the whole system board.

I had a similar problem, one of the pins of the sim card slot broke on my X1Y and the on-site service guy had to replace the whole board.

Repairability: 1/5.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors