Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekC81
Paper Tape
Views: 344
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga ThinkPad 2nd Gen having bad off centered screen problem

My x1 yoga ThinkPad 2nd gen is having a bad display, split screen type of problem! The left edge of what would normally be the edge of monitor screen is stuck in almost the middle of the screen and the desktop background as well as any windows that are open are split up and continued from the right side of screen over to the left, even the pointer from the mouse is following the same behavior. The proportions aren't even centered exactly at split more like 60/40. It reminds me of one of those old big monitors where you can manually adjust the screen and center the display. Well I can't seem to find the setting to adjust for this anywhere, any help here would be greatly appreciated! Also it's having other display issues as well. The color will be insanely bright and distorted and will show ''Lava" not sure what causes this now and then either. The problem are about to make this computer unusable. Also the operating system on this when I got it is Manjaro Linux, don't really know how to use this but that's what's on it right now. Just trying to save me an awesome computer I got for a good deal.

Thanks for your help!

Striker317
Token Ring
Views: 340
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga ThinkPad 2nd Gen having bad off centered screen problem

When the machine posts before it boots into whatever OS was on your system, does it look normal there?

If so, someone probably botched the linux install.

Go back to factory defaults and then fiddle on your own.

Go to

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Hit Access Recovery Media

Download the recovery media for your system and install windows.

DerekC81
Paper Tape
Views: 321
Message 3 of 4

• Thank you very much for your help! Yeah the first screens during boot or startup are normal, but soon as sign on screen comes up, the display is all messed up. I sure hope this will take care of it, sounds like it will. So it's a fairly easy task to take this Linux off of the computer and get Windows Pro back on there? So I just factory reset it correct? Just follow your link and go from there yeah? Will Windows be on there still, or does it normally get completely wiped when Linux is installed? 
  • Once again, thank you so much Striker! Have a good night and I'll post up what happens and if it solved everything. Appreciate it!
Striker317
Token Ring
Views: 319
Message 4 of 4

Since you got this used, I would confirm that the machine works the way it ought to. 

The recovery option will will download the recovery disks from Lenovo and allow you to set up the system in its factory state. 

Confirm that works, as your base, and then you can continue to tinker as you see fit. 

The fact that that it is normal when you first boot up tells me that something in your Linux is botched. Maybe someone in the Linux forums has a simple fix. 

In in the absence of that, my preference is to confirm that your system works using lenovo’s Recovery disks, and then move onward from there. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors