Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

03-28-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 201 of 229

Re: X1 Yoga Touch Screen No Longer Working

2017-03-28, 0:58 AM

The Firmware isn't working

Options

2 Posts

04-16-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 202 of 229

2017-03-28, 14:02 PM

So...... this past week, my X1 Yoga had the same problem with the Wacom driver rendering the touch screeen inoperative, which I eventually solved as documented here by switching to an older Wacom driver, though I ended up having to do that once or twice a day.

But a new problem has occurred: last night, my bluetooth mouse started acting up. First, the mouse pointer disappeared in Chrome. It was still appearing in non-Chrome apps, but once the mouse went over a Chrome window, the mouse pointer disappeared. The mouse was still operational; I could still see the objects light up as the invisible mouse pointer passed over them, and if I was lucky with my aim, I could still click. But then the little busy circle started circling next to the mouse pointer and the mouse stopped working completely. Fortunately, the trackpad is still working.

The short of it is that in Device Manager, instead of the Wacom driver showing a error, everything under Human Interface Devices (HID) is showing an error. I tried reinstalling the mouse in bluetooth manager, but got a device driver error message (the mouse is seen by bluetooth and the driver is downloaded but then an error). I tried uninstalling all bluetooth and HID devices, and rebooting, but the HIDs are all still inoperable (the bluetooth devices show as OK). I cannot manually update the HIDs by choosing an older driver like the Wacom solution. In fact, I cannot do that anymore to the Wacom driver. I also tried returning to a restore point, but I got an error even on that where it said it could not restore everything. Finally, I have another non-bluetooth mouse with its own dongle, and when I put that in a USB port, it shows up in the Device Manager under the HIDs with an error.

So at 8am, I plan to be at Officemax to buy a *gasp* corded mouse :( I think I'll end up reinstalling Windows but for the moment I need to get some work done.

****Updated. Fixed. :) I found a 8 year old message about USB mouse issues where the symptom was a device manager error 39 (driver error) under HID (which I did not mention above, but all the HIDs said error 39), where the solution was to delete an "upperfilters" registry entry. Soooo, why not? I searched for "upperfilters" and found one that appeared to be for the HID root (hid.dll) and deleted it. Rebooted. All is back to normal. I wish I could explain it, but I cannot. The key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}. 

Options

2 Posts

03-30-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 203 of 229

2017-03-30, 16:54 PM

I've had my X1 Yoga for a year now without this problem. No other users (mostly X1 Carbon) have reported it. It happened for the first time today when I wrapped the screen around and powered up in tablet mode. I saw the Lenovo splash at first, then screen went blank. Powered off, then on again. It booted windows 10 (build 1607 updated) but no pen or touch. rebooted, etc., no change.

Found this forum thread. Surprised that it has been going on for a year. In my case, I resolved it by running Lenovo System Update and installing all recommended and optional patches for Win 10 x64:

Intel Wireless lan driver: 19.40.0.3

WinTab driver: 7.3.4.5

Intel Management Engine 11.6 Software: 11.6.0.1050

Realtek Media Card Reader Driver: 10.0.14393.21296

Intel Management Engine 11.0 Firmware: 11.6.25.1229

Now the touch screen is back and working. Based on previous posts in this forum, I'm guessing either the Intel or WinTab updates did the trick. Not sure. BTW, my Wacom driver is currently at v7.3.4.5 (7/22/16).

A note to those who are angry at Lenovo for selling a piece of junk and will never buy Lenovo again....

I'm a 30-year SysAdmin. I started with the IBM XT and DOS 2.0. Every PC I've ever dealt with has some sort of issue one way or another -- hardware or software-based. It's always a matter of patiently working through it. Yes, sometimes you find a model of PC that is not worth the trouble so you send them back. We had a batch of HP laptops a few years ago like this. All 500 needed a system board replacement. If we switched vendors everytime we had a problem, we'd be switching every year. These new computers and OSes are so complex, I'm surprised they work at all. The multi-vendor PC model makes it difficult because one bad driver or firmware from a 3rd party makes the manufacturer look bad. Apple has fewer of these issues because they control all drivers. But if you go Apple, you gotta stay within their lines. You can't do anything Apple doesn't allow. If that works for you, great. But I'd much rather manage a thousand PCs than Macs.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Dell and HP forums. Their touchscreen laptops have seen similar problems. Those users are swearing at Dell and HP too. After 2 years with Lenovo, I'm satisfied. There have been issues but relatively minor and Lenovo works hard at resolving them.

Options

3 Posts

03-23-2017

Sweden

3 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 204 of 229

2017-03-30, 19:58 PM

Hi all, i´ve been struggling with this touch driver problme for a while. And finally found the solution

Go to the Wacom site and download the driver http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

My X1 Yoga have been working since then and have not loaded back the driver that Windows Update tried to install

Found this in the following forum link https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-Wacom-driver-7-3-4-25-seems-to-be-broken-and-brakes/m-p/3615813

Options

22 Posts

09-13-2011

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

38 Signins

230 Page Views

• Views: 230
  • Message 205 of 229

2017-03-31, 16:32 PM

wrote:

Hi all, i´ve been struggling with this touch driver problme for a while. And finally found the solution

Go to the Wacom site and download the driver http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

My X1 Yoga have been working since then and have not loaded back the driver that Windows Update tried to install

Found this in the following forum link https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-Wacom-driver-7-3-4-25-seems-to-be-broken-and-brakes/m-p/3615813

you are correct. this is currently best solution to me. I followed it and solve the screen problem.

Options

3 Posts

03-23-2017

Australia

4 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 206 of 229

2017-04-04, 1:51 AM

I believe I have a fix!

Although it is a third-party option, it certainly worked for me.

Go to http://www.driversforlenovo.com/download_lenovo_drivers_free/tp_x1carbon_mt20fb-20fc-x1yoga_mt20fq-20fr_w1064_201608.exe-f-153310.html and a download will start. This download is a hefty file full of Lenovo Drivers, called "SCCM". It could take some time to download.

All you have to do now, is open Device Manager, right-click on the faulty driver (it was called "Unknown driver" on my laptop"), then click "Update software." Find the "SCCM" file (DO NOT open a sub-folder, just the whole folder) and click Ok.

The faulty driver should now be renamed to "wacom driver" or the like, and your touchscreen should start working again. 

However, there is one more step, and this is very important: right-click the driver, select "properties", "power management", then uncheck the allowance option. This means your PC won't turn the driver off to save power.

Please let me know if this doesn't work. It's kind of sad how all Lenovo could do for its customers is give them a dodgy patch that was only a temporary fix - the X1 Yoga is a great laptop but Lenovo needs to get it's customer support sorted out quick.

Options

1 Posts

04-21-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 207 of 229

2017-04-21, 12:28 PM

Thank you so much! This fixed my touchscreen issue (for now at least :D). I have been scouring the Internet for hours looking for one.

Options

10 Posts

07-22-2016

Australia

40 Signins

176 Page Views

• Views: 176
  • Message 208 of 229

2017-04-22, 23:39 PM

I just totally flattened my X1 Yoga and installed Windows 10 1703.  (15063.138)

Installed all suggested Lenovo software using Software Update tool

Ran the Lenovo Touch Firmware Update Utility

The installed Wacom touch driver is 7.3.4.33

Pen is working, but touch is working poorly. I can open the start screen, touching the Windows icon, but other than that touch is essentially dead.

Options

1 Posts

04-26-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 209 of 229

2017-04-26, 17:08 PM

System SKU LENOVO_MT_20FE_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad Yoga 260

Its touchscreen is not responsive to finger.  I reset this laptop before and it worked for a month, then the same problem came back.  I reset the laptop again today and it only responds to stylus pen but not finger.  I did firmware update I found on the blog but I do not know it was the right firmware.  It still does not work.  What can I do?

Options

1 Posts

04-28-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 210 of 229

2017-04-28, 1:07 AM

After 21 screens of pleas for help, it's stunning that Lenovo lets us keep going. Pound sand why don't we? My 3 year old Yoga 3 worked well for say, 3 months, then the touchscreen problem comes and goes more or less based on all the machinations described so far and the phase of moon. The best I can suggest is uninstalling the second I2C HID driver which reappears from the dead, but do so WITHOUT a USB mouse attached, use the touchPad. Allow a few seconds for the uninstall to take effect, close the driver folder window and shut off the computer, again without using a USB mouse.

After a 10 second rest, turn the Lenovo back. If the touchscreen doesn't work immediately, repeat the uninstall of the I2CHID driver. It is a persistent nuisance. If the touchscreen does work, enjoy it for awhile. Avoid using a USB mouse or Chrome, because that will shorten your touchscreen enjoyment. Some scroll bars work after the central screen does not, but press hard.

Generally speaking, I believe this is a fundamental flaw in specifying a capacitor: either it was never adequate or their supplier cheaped out. The touchscreen responsiveness--or lack thereof--cannot be fixed by firmware. The capacitor supplier is probably firmly entrenched in their supply chain and will never give up its contract. I say 'capacitor' (or more than one) because the touchscreen problem is time and maybe temperature dependent and a capacitor is nothing if not a time- and temperature-dependent material. As time goes on, it is greatly affected by temperature fluctuation and (electrical) loading. All of our mousing around, Chrome-heavy programming resources and delicate screen sensors conspire to utterly incapacitate these cheap little capacitors, which no design engineer would deign to bother thinking about. It would be like a skyscaper architect having to think about screws. And yet, they fail. 

Power supply and power supply distribution--in which capacitors are the foot soldiers--are the most underdesigned systems of any computing platform and are often just an after-thought once the basic machine design is done. And they are the first to fail. Every. Darn. Time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms