Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tex_Long
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,792
Message 1 of 5

X1 Yoga Won't Charge

Yas, there's another thread on this, but the answer there (the charger was kaput) is not the answer for mine - unless the charger died and the brand new one was DOA - the new one I bought a few weeks ago when the original was mislaid for a couple of days, but never opened the box when the original turned up. Both chargers actually run the computer, it's just not charging.

There's also a sideways reference to this, on https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-Wacom-driver-7-3-4-25-seems-to-be-bro...

I had the exact same thing as that one happen (touchscreen quit touching), on the same day. Having had similar things happen before, one of my first guesses was that Windoze had updated something that broke the touchscreen software. Looking at the activity, I saw that indeed, it had installed a "new" version (xxx.25), for which Wacom's current version was xxx.28 - why on earth Windoze would actually downdate a driver automagically is beyond me. The solution, as found in the link, was to uninstall the downdate and install the current one.

Unfortunately, I now have a problem that is worse (not touchscreening was mainly an annoyance, but not charging the battery or running off of charger power will be fatal if not fixed in time) and has been harder to track down so far.

This morning (4/27/2017), out of the clear blue, when I plugged in the charger, the screen started blinking dimmer and brighter. I finally figured out the change in brightness was corresponding to the appearance and disappearance of the little wire-plug on the battery icon, which shows you've plugged in a charger. I tried a new charger, but no joy... also no charging, and the battery percentage sank slowly in the west. I updated from the Lenovo software site, and at least the annoying blinking went away, and the battery charge quit falling, but it hasn't started going up, yet. I'm gonna do some more updating and see what finally fixes it (assuming I can get it fixed before it bricks itself). Not a happy Lenovo camper, today.

It does seem to be running off the charger power, so hopefully I can find the solution before the paltry 10% charge that's left slips away completely. I'll post that if and when I find it.

Later -

Having now applied all the updates I could find, I have the computer running steadily on power, but still not charging.

There may be a bit of success, as it shows charging briefly when plugged it: the fill-up bar on the battery icon runs across the battery, which I think indicates it's charging... but this is only for a few cycles, a few seconds, and then the fill-up stops and it's business as before, running, no charging happens, and sitting on 10%.

I'm still thinking this is a software issue, either a parameter setting of some sort or an update that hasn't gotten applied. At least one part of the update procedures was a little iffy - it messaged that the "battery pack" should be full and the computer should not be turned off while the update was in progress. Since the battery was at 10% with no charging taking place, that fullness was of course not happening, so...

I'm pretty frustrated by this, but I'll keep poking at it. If there's some place I should be looking for software versions or parameter settings, please tell me.

Thanks for any and all help...

Tex_Long
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,715
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Yoga Won't Charge

Update -

Left it sleeping overnight, on the off chance that something would get updated and it would go back to happiness. No joy. In fact, it slipped to 9% instead.

Coming out of sleep is now really slow - instead of popping right up, it spends over a minute wanking about before it jumps up and boogies. Not sure what that's about, whether it's related or not...

GF asked if it could be the battery, which has to be answered "Yes, but I doubt it... wouldn't it be nice if there were a good way to check?"

Is there?
Tex_Long
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,701
Message 3 of 5

Another update -

... and, more bad stuff happening.

I dunno if it just happened or I just hadn't noticed before, but the screen now does not rotate. I looked at the setting, and it was NOT locked; tried locking and unlocking, no change. Reading up on it, seemed like sensor service might be a problem, so ran the Lenovo Settings app, which was installed. It offered to install, so I accepted that; ran the install, and said it was already installed. Tried to run it again, same result. Went ahead and forced the install, which apparently went through okay. Ran it again; said it had to update, so I let all that happen; then it said to restart it, but didn't exit, so I killed it and started it again. Fiddled with the various settings. Only result I can see is that now the screen still doesn't rotate (and, of course, the battery is not charging, still), but at least now the Lock Rotation is grayed out and can't be accessed. Not sure if that's really progress. Lenovo Settings did offer to "reset battery gauge", which turns out to be that it's going to "fully charge the battery; fully discharge the battery; and fully recharge the battery". Once I get the little bit of stuff I really value off of this thing, and barring successfully getting the battery charging again, I'll give that a try - in the meantime, I kinda don't have a lot of confidence in that process., so I'll just keep poking around and seeing if any of you folks have a clue about this whole thing.
Tex_Long
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,685
Message 4 of 5

Still later -

Spent a little over an hour on chat with a tech. Lots of activity, but no real results.

After downloading and installing several bits of software, as the last one was rebooting the computer as part of its installation, the tech simply bailed, no message, no nothing, just "[REDACTED] has left the chat."

Not very satisfying, to say the least.

He did get the rotation working, although it has stopped, again.

I'm not sure where to go next. This whizbang computer is - for now - basically a batteryless laptop, tethered to a power cord, with a pretty nice screen and a not particularly great keyboard.

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday to contact support again, but at least I have a ticket number.

Tex_Long
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,650
Message 5 of 5

Hahahaha! Monday morning, a new suipport chat.

Apparently you get a new Ticket #/Case # with each support chat.

This one ended quickly. The tech started an online support session, which - on my end, at least - connected, said she was the technician, and said it was waiting for the technician. After a couple of minutes, I asked if all was well, and she said she couldn't see it. I told her that it says here that it's connected, and her response was to tell me they're sending a box so I can send them the computer.

That's certainly better than being blown off again, and it's good to know I'll be getting a working computer back, one way or another... but having the "extremely satisfied" meme thrown out again is indeed not all that satisfying. To me, "extremely satisfied" would mean that it didn't break in the first place, or that it was quickly diagnosed and fixed.

Satisfaction pending. One thing that will aid satisfaction will be their informing me what was wrong.

If anyone cares, reply here and let me know, and I'll report back - otherwise, it appears we're done here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors