cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesselix
Token Ring
Views: 523
Message 1 of 3

X1 Yoga and Intel ME Firmware update being pushed but how?

Hello. 

Back story, our company has purchased and now rolled out our Lenovo X1 Yoga laptops (model 20FQ).  During the rollout, we installed all of the drivers from lenovo's site via the MDT driver package and then deployed the latest System Inteface Foundation so we could install teh Lenovo Settings app later down the road via the Windows 10 App store.  

We have not installed the lenovo settings or lenovo companion apps from the store but are now receiving reports of users getting a message from "Lenovo Companion" that an update is available.  The update that is available is an Intel ME firmware update.  Is there a way to disable or prevent these updates from pushing to users via registry or configuration file? Does the System Interface Foundations app contain the Lenovo Companion app or the update features?  

Screenshot of update message attached.  We do have the ADMX templates for Lenovo Companion and Settings in our AD/GPO; would disabling updates in the GPO for Companion prevent these from running even though we don't really have the actual Companion app installed?

Thanks!

Further details:
Win10 x64 Enterprise Edition 1607 build w/all latest patches/updates.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 499
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Yoga and Intel ME Firmware update being pushed but how?

Lenovo System Interface Foundation (LSIF) is doing this.  The only purpose of this app is to support Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Companion, so if you don't install these apps, there is no point to install LSIF.  One of the features of LSIF is to automatically install "critical" updates for Lenovo software and drivers, such as this recent Intel ME Firware update.

The Deployment Guide for Lenovo Settings and/or Companion explains this feature and how to disable it:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/hf003321

I have copied-and-pasted the relevent section below:

Chapter 4. Considerations for Deployment

Lenovo System Interface Foundation contains some features which may not be appropriate for enterprise customers.  Please read this section carefully to understand these features and consider whether they should be disabled in your specific environment. 

1.  Automatic Updates – Lenovo System Interface Foundation updates itself automatically whenever a new version is posted to the Lenovo website. Some IT organizations will want to disable this.  The automatic update can be disabled by registry.  To do so, copy-and-paste the below text into a .reg file and then import it into your registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\ImController]

"DisableAutoupdate"="1"

Or use “lsif-disable-autoupdate.reg” that is provided in the .zip file

2.  Critical Lenovo Driver and Software Updates – Lenovo System Interface Foundation also supports Lenovo Companion (in addition to Lenovo Settings). One of the features of Lenovo Companion, called System Update, will automatically install updates for Lenovo software and drivers that are marked by Lenovo as “Critical”.  Some IT organizations will want to disable this.  To do so, copy-and-paste the below text into a .reg file and then import it into your registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Lenovo\ImController\Plugins\LenovoSystemUpdatePlugin]

"Imc-Block"=dword:00000001

Or use “lsif-disable-systemupdate-plugin.reg” that is provided in the .zip file

jamesselix
Token Ring
Views: 474
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Yoga and Intel ME Firmware update being pushed but how?

Thank you for the reply. I believe i had initially implemented the first reg key to block it but never put in the 2nd entry. I will mark this as answered and put that 2nd key in and retest. Smiley Happy

thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors