Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

46 Posts

02-16-2014

Norway

63 Signins

646 Page Views

• Views: 646
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Yoga and Wacom active pen drivers not running. (Permanent FIX)

2016-06-10, 8:20 AM

Are you, like me, starting to get annoyed with the active pen not responding. Then when you go to the wacom driver settings you get the error message "The Tablet driver is not running". Forcing you to restart the machine or the service?

This is a normal problem that pisses a lot of users of wacom products in general. And i found this happens alot, specially if you have several wacom products like i have a Cintiq connected to my X1 yoga.  Well surprisingly there is a really easy fix for this. 

It's windows 10 stopping the service after it wakes up from sleep. To fix it just tell windows to try harder to keep it running.

1. Run "services" and find the wacom services. The service you looking for on a X1 Yoga is Wacom ISD service or/and the Wacom Professional Service if you have an additional wacom device like the Cintiq connected.
  2. Right click the service and go to properties.
  3. Go to the tab recovery and set the optional fail response on first and second failure to "restart the service".
  4. there is also someone reporting that they have to set their startup type to manual. But for me it works fine in automatic.

Here is a video from ma'boy MichaelLawLtd that explains how, i give him all credit for this solution:

I set it to restart on second and third attempt and have never had an issue since.

Answer
Options

46 Posts

02-16-2014

Norway

63 Signins

646 Page Views

Re: X1 Yoga and Wacom active pen drivers not running. (Permanent FIX)

2018-01-26, 11:13 AM

Drive still keeps stopping but running the restart file takes 3 seconds so it's an ok workaround. Here is an easyer way:

Again for Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga users in Windows 10 with both Lenovo wacom pen and other pro wacom devices you can use their universal driver for thair latest professional pen displays and pen tablets, as well as our business solutions products.

Once installed and restarted. Open notepad and copy paste this code

net stop WTabletServiceISD
net start WTabletServiceISD
net stop WTabletServicePro
net start WTabletServicePro

Save the file as "WacomRestart.cmd" somewhere save on your drive. Like in your user folder.

(Found its abit less messy to use the newer *.cmd file extention for command line opperations then the old *.bat file)

Also to always start the file as administator crate a shortcut to your desktop. Go to Properties > Shortcut > Advanced and tick on "Run as administrator"

[oldimg]121659i6AB02C83BB7DB9C3[/oldimg]

Then move the shortcut to you start menu, so that when you need a quick restart just hit "windows" and type "WacomRestart" to restart the wacom services. 

[oldimg]121660i932F9CCDC2015F33[/oldimg]

If you got problems moving the shortcut to the start menu. A tip is to right click on other wacom shortcuts in the start menu and select "Open file location". That will open the startmenu's wacom folder . Drag and drop you Restart shortcut to that folder. You will  need administartor rights.

Still wish that Windows, Lenovo and Wacom would just play nice, but for now this is an okey workarbound.

Replies(4)
Options

1459 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2005 Signins

20083 Page Views

• Views: 20083
  • Message 2 of 5

2016-06-10, 9:10 AM
What driver version of the Wacom Active Pen drivers are you using?

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

46 Posts

02-16-2014

Norway

63 Signins

646 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2016-06-10, 11:07 AM

The Active pen (built in) is 7.3.2.14

Wacom feel IT technologies

http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

(very strange that there is no version on this of the lenovo driver page)

Cintiq is WacomTablet 6.3.16-12

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Options

46 Posts

02-16-2014

Norway

63 Signins

646 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2016-08-23, 10:18 AM

Found the Wacom services still stopping on a regular basis... the reason is that when I change orientation on the screen it stops working consistently.

Might be a problem with a conflict there and screen rotation?

BUT - i made an old fashioned batch file to restart the processes quickly... so here is a workaround to make your life easier.

Open start and type "services" to start Windows Services management. Sort the services by name and find the Wacom service. Right click on the service and open properties. The copy the name after "Service name:"

service.jpg

In my case its WTabletServiceISD and WTabletServicePRO

Open a blank document in Notepad and write:

Save the file as "Wacom-restart-admin.bat" (.bat is the important file extention) in C:\Program Files\Tablet\Wacom or where you like.

Make a shortcut to the batch file in the start menu and every time your pen stops working, just run this batch as administrator to restart.

admin.jpg

Made my life a lot easier

Answer
Options

46 Posts

02-16-2014

Norway

63 Signins

646 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2018-01-26, 11:13 AM

Drive still keeps stopping but running the restart file takes 3 seconds so it's an ok workaround. Here is an easyer way:

Again for Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga users in Windows 10 with both Lenovo wacom pen and other pro wacom devices you can use their universal driver for thair latest professional pen displays and pen tablets, as well as our business solutions products.

Once installed and restarted. Open notepad and copy paste this code

Save the file as "WacomRestart.cmd" somewhere save on your drive. Like in your user folder.

(Found its abit less messy to use the newer *.cmd file extention for command line opperations then the old *.bat file)

Also to always start the file as administator crate a shortcut to your desktop. Go to Properties > Shortcut > Advanced and tick on "Run as administrator"

Then move the shortcut to you start menu, so that when you need a quick restart just hit "windows" and type "WacomRestart" to restart the wacom services. 

If you got problems moving the shortcut to the start menu. A tip is to right click on other wacom shortcuts in the start menu and select "Open file location". That will open the startmenu's wacom folder . Drag and drop you Restart shortcut to that folder. You will  need administartor rights.

Still wish that Windows, Lenovo and Wacom would just play nice, but for now this is an okey workarbound.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms