11-21-2020

US

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Yoga gen1 stops at lenovo screen but can not get into bios or windows

2020-11-21, 20:31 PM

After the last windows update (still 1909) and then Lenovo Advantage prompted for a bios update I started getting blue screens in windows.  Never have I ever had a blue screen on this laptop. It mentioned memory error but then said to chkdsk. It ran through checking the drive would load up windows and in a few minutes would blue screen and prompt again.  Allowed it to continue to try and fix the disk then used the diagnostics on bootup to check ram...that was fine but the ssd drive had warnings. So I figured time to get off as many files off the drive.  In the middle of copying data to an external drive another bluescreen but this time it stopped at the Lenovo screen where it prompts to press ENTER...it won't load windows and I can't get into the bios so I could boot off of USB with HIREN to try and get more files off the drive.  The way the keyboard backlits and reacts is like it IS somehow in windows but it appears bricked. Tried the reset hole, did the hold the power button for over a minute. Disconnected the cmos battery then reconnected which I did not like doing since I could not get in the bios to disconnect the main battery since it is internal. Any ideas would be appreciated I really loved my Yoga and that quick ssd drive.

Options

11392 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39808 Signins

416874 Page Views

• Views: 416874
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:X1 Yoga gen1 stops at lenovo screen but can not get into bios or windows

2020-11-21, 20:49 PM

Bad memory or bad drive can cause this.  I would pull out the drive (memory is soldered) and see if I could get to the BIOS

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

3 Posts

11-21-2020

US

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:X1 Yoga gen1 stops at lenovo screen but can not get into bios or windows

2020-11-22, 14:35 PM

Before it froze I was able to do both a deep ram scan...everything fine.  Then since it kept says scan the drive I ran the deep ssd scan and it timed out and said warning.  So yes, I do think it is the drive but I can't get into bios to check things out.  I read to disconnect the cmos battery and remove the battery...then tap the power button a few times to discharge any static.  I did notice before having any issues my power supply on the the laptop was hot. So who knows. If I can get into the bios to atleast run linux via usb I will order another ssd drive if they still sell replacements. Thanks for the quick response.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete