Did you mean: 
tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 727
Message 1 of 24

X1 Yoga in tent mode defaults back to passive cooling

Hello,

As said in the title, this is what actually happens:

While in tent mode, the CPU never goes beyond 35% use. The fan almost never kicks in and the overall experience is slowed down a lot.

I set the Processor Cooling mode to Active in the current power plan, turned off "Intelligent Cooling" in Vantage and set it to "High performance" but it didn't fix it. It didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

When running a CPU intensive task, as soon as I turn the screen back to normal mode, the fan starts spinning and the CPU use can go back up to 100%.

I like having the laptop in tent mode, with a keyboard and mouse. Is there something I missed?

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 624
Message 2 of 24

Re: X1 Yoga in tent mode defaults back to passive cooling

If I reboot the Thinkpad, the cooling becomes active again, as set in the power plan and lenovo settings. It seems as soon as I plug in or unplug the power usb-c, or if the device gets suspended and resumed, there is no way to exit passive cooling, besides from rebooting again.

Things get sluggish really fast in this aggressive passive cooling mode. I really wished I wasn't the only one with this problem, or that someone had something for me to try.

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 576
Message 3 of 24

I'm still experimenting this issue, this what I found so far :

* When I reboot to solve the problem, it isn't totally fixed : the cooling is active, but cpu settings aren't respected. As such, in "High Performance" power plan, the min CPU is set to 100%. In normal laptop position, it means 3.5GHz, or sometimes a bit less due to thermal throttling. In tent mode, after reboot, it varies with usage (as in "Balanced" power plan).

* Simply leaving the laptop in tent mode locked, without it going to sleep, the cooling goes back to this "aggressive" passive cooling policy.

* In this passive cooling policy, as soon as the CPU is used (>5%), its frequency can go as low as 0.8GHz.

* If I disable the Service "Lenovo PM Service", and reboot, the power plan is respected. From what I've read, I may have trouble getting it back from Sleep, as it's supposed to be its purpose. So it's not the best solution.

Here's a new question : could reinstalling this "Lenovo PM Service" help? How can it be reinstalled?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 567
Message 4 of 24

Which generation of X1 Yoga do you have, or, what is your model/type?  I would like to try to observe the same issue here.

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 565
Message 5 of 24

It's a X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (20JDCT01WW).

According to Lenovo Vantage, everything is up to date.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 560
Message 6 of 24

On my X1 Yoga 2nd gen, I ran Prime95 to get about 95% CPU utilization in laptop mode.  Then I switched to tent mode, and the CPU utilization dropped to about 70%.  Switch back to laptop mode and it jumps to 95% again.  So I agree there is something going on.  It feels to me like the hardware (BIOS) itself is throttling based on the mode.  

But except in Prime95, I couldn't observe a problem.  While in tent mode and using a web browser, I am consistently seeing CPU speeds > 3.0GHz using the High Performance power plan.

Can you give me more details about exactly what you are doing?

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 557
Message 7 of 24

I had a comparable result after a fresh boot: being in "High performance" power plan but seeing something comparable to the "balanced" power plan, with the fan still able to spin at this point.

It's only after a while (i.e. lunch break with the laptop only locked, with or without sleep) that the fan is no longer spinning, ever.

From no activity (cold) to something, the frequency goes up, but when the fan would normaly start, the cpu frequency drops.

I have spent this whole day without the "Lenovo PM Service" running and didn't have this issue, at all.

But I haven't tried going and coming back from sleep, as I had work to be done.

I don't understand the logic behind this, tent mode is ideal for fan cooling.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 555
Message 8 of 24

@tinoucas wrote:

I don't understand the logic behind this, tent mode is ideal for fan cooling.

I get your point, but from sensor perspective, I don't think we can distinguish between tent mode and tablet mode.  And tablet mode is the worst for cooling.  But I will ask "Lenovo PM Service" team what they are doing between laptop mode and tent/tablet mode, maybe it will give us some clue.

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 543
Message 9 of 24

Thanks, I hope they can get it fixed for this usage.

After successful waking from sleep, once early after sleep, the second more than a couple hours afters, I will keep the service disabled until then. Out of curiousity, what am I missing on this system without this service?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 522
Message 10 of 24

I confirmed that the "Lenovo PM Service" is reducing performance in tent/tablet mode by design.  But nobody thought of your use case where the PC is sitting on table on tent mode, and connected to KB/mouse.  So now I am checking whether this is something we can fix for your use case.

If you keep "Lenovo PM Service" disabled, it means hotkeys like F4, F7-F12 won't work.  This is the main thing you will notice.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors