Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 397
Message 11 of 25

Re: X1 Yoga in tent mode defaults back to passive cooling

Awesome!

This use case is especially relevant when you want to put the laptop on a soft surface (i.e. on a bed). That was the main reason that made me choose my previous laptop (a Thinkpad S1 Yoga). And because it worked so well, why I chose the X1 Yoga.

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 361
Message 12 of 25

Hi,

Do you have any update on when/if a fix is coming for this issue ?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 357
Message 13 of 25

@tinoucas wrote:

Hi,

Do you have any update on when/if a fix is coming for this issue ?

Unfortunately I'm not able to get a fix for this issue.  As long as you keep Power Management driver installed/enabled, it will reduce performance whenever you aren't in laptop mode.  This is to keep the PC cooler in the modes where you are more likely to be holding it.  I realize this isn't the answer you want but I wasn't successful in convincing the X1 Yoga team to change the behavior.

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 354
Message 14 of 25

That is sad news.

Other use case scenario : for games that can run on Intel HD, to be able to play them in tent mode, with a gamepad, on a bed. It won't overheat being in tent mode.

With the Power Management driver as it is, any game lags way too much to be playable.

As I understand, I have to manage without it. Besides disabling the service, is there any thing else I can do ? There are a couple Lenovo.Modern.ImController.PluginHost process instances that keep running (using between 0.5 a 1.5% cpu). It seems as if they were polling something indefinitely. Do I have to uninstall Lenovo Vantage ?

It doesn't cause any issue performance-wise, but the cpu never really stops. Hence the battery drains a bit quicker when it should be idle (I'm down to about 3h of battery life after a full charge).

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 350
Message 15 of 25

My understanding is that it's the PM Service (and nothing else) that controls this behavior.

Yann505
Paper Tape
Views: 277
Message 16 of 25

Hummmmm after having lot of problem with high CPU consommation and with the fan... the support came and changed the motherboard of my laptop... and now, I've CPU issue when I'm in tablet mode (which I didn't have few days ago, even with the last motherboard)

My scenario:

1) PC is all day long in tablet mode, power plugged, beft performance Windows mode

2) After few hours, the CPU switch permanently between a very high frequency (> 2.8Ghz) and a very low frequency (<0.8Ghz). The fan is not necessarily running high.

3) As soon as I go back to laptop mode, the CPU remains stuck at a high frequency, everything is OK

I have to add that 3 times in the last week, I got a "bip" that seems to be the BIOS alarm

This is why I suspect the tablet mode brings problem with the CPU that becomes (or is considered?) too hot. So the PC doesn't manage to increase its frequency and so, sometimes, the BIOS alarmed

I don't know if this behaviour is linked with the "Lenovo PM Service" you mentionned... but it seems you guys have a lot of troubles with your new (and expensive) laptop!!

Right now, the only solution we have is to not use the tablet mode... it's a shame, we bought this Yoga because of its tablet mode!

tinoucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 272
Message 17 of 25

Hi,

FWIW, I completely reinstalled Windows 10 pro (after backing up everything), and installed all drivers from lenovo site except the PM one and any depending on it (so no Vantage now: I have to rely on an RSS feed for driver updates).

I then created sensible power plans (i.e. setting max cpu to 99% disables boost and is enough to stay cool/fanless). The switching isn't automatic, but I have complete control over it.

I indeed lost a couple keyboard buttons (mic on/off, star, probably wifi on/off) and automatic keyboard backlight (though fn-space still works), and that other feature that delayed sleep after closing the lid (but that one is no longer necessary, see below).

Overall, THIS is way closer to the experience I was hoping.

Also, as a side note, I can't say for sure if it's related to a Windows update or just the reinstall itself, but I never, ever have had problem waking from sleep since the reinstall. Even re-opening the lid before the end of the sleep cycle, it can then wake back up with the power button (I've had this exact issue on day 1).

I wish the PM thing was more standalone and optional rather than mandatory for Vantage and custom keyboard shortcuts. But I will not reinstall it at this point.

BTW, my battery is now at 20% wear and I can get 5 hours of real on-the-go use out of it (web/4g/video).

Yann505
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 18 of 25

Ok thanks for this feedback

I will go back to tablet mode and try to kill the Lenovo PM Service process the next time I have my CPU issue...

I can also ask a colleague who has problem with sleep mode waking to test that...

mb0101
What's DOS?
Views: 233
Message 19 of 25

I need to add my support for the request to have this fixed. I use the Lenovo docking station and was using my laptop in tent mode. After weeks of frustration wondering why the performance sucks, I was able to determine that the tent mode significantly throttles the performance. You can easily witness the effect when running a CPU monitor. This "feature" is horrible. It forced me to have to rig up a platform to keep the laptop in the typical "open" shape. The entire point of purchasing this was to be able to use it in the tent (actually an "L") mode. It's unusable in that manner due to the heavy throttling.

PLEASE try harder to have this fixed, or provide us with directions how to make the problem stop. This design is literally stopping my team from switching to the X1 Yoga from the Surface Pro. 

Yann505
Paper Tape
Views: 230
Message 20 of 25

Killing the Lenovo PM process has no effect

I can now reproduce and confirm the behaviour

1) Tent mode

2) After a while (or a sleep/wake up), CPU goes from ~0.2Ghz fo ~2.8Ghz permanently

3) Switch to laptop mode

4) Immediately, CPU goes to ~3.8Ghz

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors