US

8 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Yoga noise and display questions

2016-09-02, 14:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a X220 and considering to buy a X1 Yoga. I'd appreciate advise on the following questions:

- How is the fan noise of the device when using updated Win10, software, drivers and BIOS? I read several complaints about the noise levels in older threads. Are these issues resolved and can the X1 Yoga now be described as silent (when only surfing the web etc.)? Will I get a "more silent" system when I chose the i5-6200U over the i7-6500U?

- I read about several issues users had with the OLED display. Also, I'm unsure about its lifetime, (annoying?) battery/display saving modes, battery life, reflectivity/glare and scaling in Win10 due to high pixel density. Is the OLED display truly a better choice than the FullHD IPS one? (I love great-looking displays though, so I'm tempted...)

I want to use this laptop for 5 years or more, so I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
Options

19 Posts

04-21-2016

US

49 Signins

682 Page Views

• Views: 682
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Yoga noise and display questions

2016-09-03, 0:14 AM

I have an X1 Yoga, Intel Core i7-6600U, with IPS-Touch so I can answer at least the first question.

(First, I'm not sure where you're seeing an "i7-6500U" option-- at least when I configured and ordered my machine back in April of this year, I hadn't seen that option.)

With the i7-6600U though, about two weeks after I received the machine, there was this INSANE high pitched "whine" that sounded after the machine was on.  It was intermittent and didn't even seem related to processor load or anything.  Sometimes it sounded right after the machine booted.  Sometimes the machine was quiet for a few days before the "whine" reared its ugly head.  It positively drove me crazy.  I looked online and it appeared several other X1 owners were having similar problems.

Man, I tired everything.  I got the latest BIOS updates.  I updated Windows.  I even unscrewed the back of the computer to see if something was loose or hitting the fan.  That's how loud this "whine" was.  Nope.  Nothing there.

Finally, three months later, just as I was about to abandon all hope, I checked one last time on the BIOS update page (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-X-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-Type-20FQ-20FR/20FQ/CTO1WW/downloads/DS111756) and found "1.15 (N1FET41W)" - released on July 5.  THIS was the BIOS update that finally fixed the "whine" on my machine.  It now runs near silently.  Even when I'm running Photoshop, etc.

Anyway, that's been my experience with my X1 Yoga.  Aside for the initial whine (now fixed) and relatively short battery life (3.5-4 hours, under any sort of realistic usage.  Sometimes even less.  And that's with a brand new battery), the machine's been a complete dream.  Just typing on the keyboard itself is miraculous.  Oh, one other problem, I guess, is they removed the "context menu key."  You can fix that with the Auto Hot Key macro app though (https://autohotkey.com/).  Just remap the right-Alt (which, let's be honest, no one uses anyways).  You can also use AHK to build hotkey-combos for media playback keys, etc (which Lenovo's also removed.)

As for which is better, IPS vs OLED.  All I can say is that my IPS screen is gorgeous.  I have a Samsung phone with an OLED screen and for most things, I don't think you're going to notice a difference when you're using, say, Gmail.  If you're playing video games or watching tons of movies, then maybe OLED makes sense?  Just keep in mind, the battery life will then be even worse, I think.  The OLED machine's battery's slightly larger, I believe, but I'd be curious how real-life performance is.

My previous machine was a T400s which lasted me seven years.  I'm expecting this X1 to go at least that distance.  If you do pull the trigger, I'd also recommend getting the "battery warranty" btw.

Hope this helps!

PS.  Oh, one other issue w/ the machine:  If you use the X1 in tablet mode, the fan exhaust will get scalding hot.  Like, literally, "untouchably hot."  No way you can put it in your lap or anything, in tablet mode, for prolonged periods of time.  I do most of my tablet mode reading in bed so it's not an issue.  But just be forewarned.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

09-02-2016

US

8 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Yoga noise and display questions

2016-09-12, 1:17 AM

Thank you so much! I ordered the X1 Yoga as OLED now and will surely apply some of your advise... I will post again once it arrives and write how I like it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete