cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,282
Message 1 of 8

X1 Yoga sometimes will not enter sleep mode (hangs on sleep)

Has anyone else had problems with the X1 Yoga falling asleep?

About 1 out of 6/7 times the X1 Yoga will not enter sleep mode - pretty random when it happens. When I select sleep from the Windows 10 menu or close the lid (so this happens both with the OneLink+ dock and when using standalone as a notebook) the computer seems to go to sleep, the displays turn off, USB devices turn off, but then the small led just stays on. It never really enters sleep mode. And there is no way to wake the computer up, just press the power button for 4 seconds and turn it off. Which practically means cold booting again.

Usually the last item in the event log is a Kernel-Power event announcing the system is entering sleep mode. Today there are two more events after that, but then just nothing. (this is from the System event log).

Really bothersome issue, probably related to Windows and/or firmware/BIOS.

There does not seem to be any connection to what the computer is doing. It happens when no programs are running, and also when lots of programs are open. It happens as the fan is on (because the computer is doing something heavy) and both when the fan is off (the computer is idling). It happens while connected to the dock and also while not being connected to the dock. There does not seem to be any pattern to it.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Most drivers are updated to latest version, and BIOS is also latest.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | YOGA C630 WOS
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,237
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Yoga sometimes will not enter sleep mode (hangs on sleep)

During the last week the issue seems to be coming up more often. Even as often as 1 out of 3 sleeps do not work. It is really annoying because the computer neither enters sleep, nor can be awoken. Essentially the only thing that helps is rebooting, and that of course loses the state of the machine. A real productivity killer in the middle of the workday.

The last couple of times the Kernel-Power entering sleep state was followed by two other events:

- Hyper-V-VmSwitch reported a network card is no longer operational

- DNS client had some sort of timeout 7 seconds after the Kernel-Power event. 

After these, the next event is the operating system started even when I reboot the computer.

It clearly is not something blocking sleep, because the notebook tries to enter sleep. It just never quite manages to enter it.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
glwcross
Paper Tape
Views: 1,078
Message 3 of 8

I have similar issue for my X1 Yoga, Win 10 64 bit.  I have had it for about 6 weeks, first 2 weeks ok and this issue came up.  For me it is 100% no sleep on lid close. However, if I tell it to sleep in Start menu, seems to work.  

One solution I currently have:  Close the the lid and press the power button on the side briefly.  These seems to force it into full sleep in 5-10 s, as witnessed by the red LED on the lid going into pulse mode and fans shutting off, etc.  I have had the dreaded "hot bag" syndrome a few times but this solves it for me quickly now without having to use the Start menu.

GC

Former Employee
Views: 950
Message 4 of 8

What BIOS version is running on your X1 Yoga when this occurs? 

The latest BIOS, v1.15, can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-X-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-X1-...

Thank you,

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 933
Message 5 of 8

Hi Amy,

It happened with every BIOS version since I got the X1 Yoga in March. I began to suspect around June that this might be a problem with Windows itself, and not so much the X1 Yoga, despite what I believed in the beginning.

In the beginning of July I tried installing Windows 10 Insider Preview builds, and since that time I have not bumped into this sleep issue. I have not written a reply here yet, because

a) Insider Preview versions are BETA versions, so I wanted to wait for the actual 1607 version to come out
b) I still want to make sure that it does not happen, and it needs some more testing on my part

But current facts point to Windows being the culprit. Doing an update to 1607 when it comes out would be the best way to try and solve this for anyone else having this problem. I will mark this as an answer to my question once 1607 comes out and I am confident enough that the issue does not happen again.

PS. I am also running 1.15 BIOS now, but I installed that after starting to use the insider previews, and I think the sleep issue went away before that.

niklas24
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 581
Message 6 of 8

I just purchased an X1 Yoga in November and I am constantly having this problem.  All the settings are set to sleep when both the lid is closed and when pressing the power button.  9 times out of 10 it doesn't work or seems like it does (flashing red light on the lid) but about a minute later it's woken up and the light is solid again.  I am running Windows 7 with BIOS v1.21 and have been installing all of the updates required, but am still at a loss why this keeps happening. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 572
Message 7 of 8

When it happens, check the event log to see if some device is throwing a message

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bigash
What's DOS?
Views: 503
Message 8 of 8

I have this issue as well all the freaking time. A solution would be great!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors