Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexRodger
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 1 of 7

X1 carbon 2nd Gen Sudden restarts and over heating

Update: it was not Cortana who caused the problem, it was the fact that "Hey Cortana" respond actually used more battery causing it to become hot. I realized it after I tried playing some games and the laptop restarted again.

now I don't know what the problem actually is. if anyone can help me I really need my laptop to study and I have no time to replace it for a new one.

Technical details:

CPU: i7 4th gen.

Problem details:

the laptop becomes hot about 65c, and the air from the vent is also hot. suddenly everything is black and then it starts normally no error indication. it also happens in both plugged or unplugged to the charger.

original post:

I wanted to create this post if probably anyone had the same issue and couldn't find out the solution.

I never used Cortana before I decided today to give it a go, so I set it up and enabled the "Hey Cortana" respond option. after a while, my pc starts to restart randomly every 5 to 30 min between restarts, I couldn't figure out why I tried everything and searched everywhere on the internet. so I thought its probably the battery, as it also got very hot suddenly, and after few minutes, I said "Hey Cortana" my laptop restarted again so I tried it again and the same thing happened I disabled Cortana completely from the group policy and everything is working fine now.

so if u had similar problem you can try this

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 179
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 carbon 2nd Gen Sudden restarts and over heating

Hi AlexRodger!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Cortana consumes battery usage as it automatically runs on the background apps on your computer even without using it. 

You can also check the changes on your computer by running a HWMonitor to view the changes on the temperature. 

If the issues persists, another option is to reinstall the Operating System.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

AlexRodger
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 3 of 7

now I literary tried everything. its was an exhausting and day here is what I came up with:

-processor temperature is always high around 45 when it's not in use and about 63 to 67 when in use (Celsius)

-no sudden restarts when I did use heavyload and other benchmark apps in order to stress the laptop's CPU and GPU

-it only restarted when I played SimCity and use "Hey Cortana"

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 165
Message 4 of 7

Hey there, AlexRodger! 

Please try using the Lenovo vantage app https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505081?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 and check for a system update, then install them all. After that, restart the laptop and monitor it. Update us back with the outcome. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

AlexRodger
Paper Tape
Views: 158
Message 5 of 7

I did this already and all my drivers are up to date. I wish I just can locate the problem I also did a system diagnostic with Lenovo vantage, everything seems to works fine

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 143
Message 6 of 7

Hello AlexRodger!

Make sure the region and language settings is matched with yours. To do this, go to windows settings and select time and language. If still persists, create a new local administrator account.

1. Settings.
  2. Tap Accounts.
  3. Select Family & other users.
  4. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
  5. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
  6. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
  7. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
  8. Tap the Windows icon.

9. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
  10. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 7.

Let us know how it goes. 

AlexRodger
Paper Tape
Views: 142
Message 7 of 7

what region and language settings have to do anything with my problem? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors