Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_jonte
Punch Card
Views: 8,337
Message 1 of 37

X1 carbon 3rd gen, lcd panel upgrade

Hello,

I have a X1c 3rd gen with the FHD TN-panel. I don't like this panel very much, and would like to upgrade it. What options do I have, and where do I find the parts?

If at all possible I would like to get the WQHD with touch panel. Can I install that on my X1c?

Second option would be to get the non-touch WQHD IPS screen.

Thanks,

Jonte

_jonte
Punch Card
Views: 8,286
Message 2 of 37

Re: X1 carbon 3rd gen, lcd panel upgrade

Anyone?

Any chance that the touchscreen assembly för the gen2 would fit the gen3? I've read they use the same panel..?

It is called FRU 00HN829, here is one for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-00HN829-LCD-Screen-Panel-TOUCHPANEL-tpk140ag-lgd-wqhd-FOR-X1-CARB...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,281
Message 3 of 37

Hi

I'm pretty sure touch and non touch panels in the x1c gen3 are not interchangable w/o additional parts and efforts. At least, new rear cover, LED and eDP cables, hinges are needed, especially if you need new WQHD panel.

Take a look at the x1c gen3 parts list:
https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x1carbon_3_frubom_20150106.pdf

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

_jonte
Punch Card
Views: 8,263
Message 4 of 37

Thanks for your help! I see now what you mean when I look through the parts list. Quite a few things need replacing --> expensive.

My main interest however is to get an IPS panel. I see that laptopscreen.com have a FHD IPS panel. Maybe I can swap the panel from this?

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/THINKPAD%20X1%20CARBON%2020BS%20SERIES/

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,255
Message 5 of 37

There are no panels manufacturer p/ns or Lenovo service p/ns (FRU) on the site. So, if that site clames panels compatibility with x1c gen3, the IPS screen looks like a proper choice, its price matches the such screens.

My only question is a screen surface type. X1C FHD non-touch screens laptop supports are anti-glare (have a look at the fru_bom file above), while the site promises glossy surface for the IPS screen. At the same time the IPS screen at the bottom (out of the stock) is matte. So, obviously it's needed to request the panels manufacturer p/n and Lenovo FRU the site offers..

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

_jonte
Punch Card
Views: 8,240
Message 6 of 37

Good advice, thanks! I asked them, and it is this panel from LG:

http://www.panelook.com/LP140WF1-SPU1_LG%20Display_14.0_LCM_overview_20496.html

It does not have a FRU.. They said it will fit my laptop, but how can I be sure before ordering?

om26er
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,126
Message 7 of 37

Did you proceed any further with this ? I have the exact same problem the TN display on X1C is plain bad and I am looking to upgrade with the non-touch WQHD display from. If so can you tell what else apart from the LCD I need to replace.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,104
Message 8 of 37

Hi, om26er

Regarding FHD TN panel to the WQHD replacement read my post #3 above, the parts that need to be replaiced are the same.

_jonte
Punch Card
Views: 8,115
Message 9 of 37

@om26er wrote:
Did you proceed any further with this ? I have the exact same problem the TN display on X1C is plain bad and I am looking to upgrade with the non-touch WQHD display from. If so can you tell what else apart from the LCD I need to replace.

Yes I did do an upgrade. I decided I really want a touch-screen, but those panels are not compatable with the other assembly parts (TN display).

Option 1:

What I did was buy a used full LCD assembly (WQHD + touch) on ebay from a X1C gen2, and swapped the whole assembly incl hinges, antenna cables, and everything. Every part is the same, or at least interchangable, between gen2 & gen3 except for the LED cable. 

Screen + touch are working perfect, but since the LED-cable has a different size I can't connect it, and thus I don't get bluetooth, webcam, microphone, and ambient light sensor. Don't really need any of those personally, so ok for me.

If anyone know of an adapter that can be used between gen2 and gen3 LED-cable, tips would be gratly appreciated!

Option 2:

If you only want to upgrade to an IPS screen, you can just buy the panel and change in yourself. Bit of a tricky mod though, as you have to take apart the whole LCD assembly, and it is held together by a rather strong adhesive tape all way around. But doable...

I did not find any WQHD panel that can be easily swapped with the TN panel without changing many other pars. So option 1 and 2 above are probably the only ways to go.

Good luck!

om26er
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,084
Message 10 of 37

Thanks for your reply, I'll buy the LG's FHD display and replace that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors