Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MOCHIMOCHI
Paper Tape
Views: 828
Message 1 of 9

X1 carbon 6th gen freezes

Hi,

My X1 carbon 6th gen freezes randomly when there is no heavy task loaded. I bought this computer 2 month ago and just start to use it regularly. I just installed Microsoft Office on it and mainly use it for writing and internet browsing at this moment. It freezes intermittently for several seconds. I tried to reset the computer, however the problem still exists. What can I do to address this issue?

Now it gets even worse. It freezes more often and freezes for half a minute. 

It seems like I need to send it for repair.

best_dad
Paper Tape
Views: 778
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 carbon 6th gen freezes

I have the same problem, and I've already returned one, thinking it is just a bad quality one. Today with my 2nd one (only 3 days of using),  I just experienced it again. I'll try it out a little longer... I so much want to keep this laptop, but I am worrying this is a design problem... BTW, in my case, ctrl-alt-delete still works, and I was able to reboot it to bring it back to normal. Do you have the same experience?

MOCHIMOCHI
Paper Tape
Views: 752
Message 3 of 9

When my X1C 6th freezes, nothing works. The trackpad, keyboard and screen all freeze. I am sending it out on Monday. Do you know how long it will take?

best_dad
Paper Tape
Views: 748
Message 4 of 9

I have no idea how long it will take. Hope you'll get it back very soon.

So it sounds like our symptoms are still different. In my case, my mouse/touchpad both can still move the cursor around, but upon clicking nothing happens. The keyboard also doesn't respond. The whole computer freezes, except to alt-ctrl-delete, which brings out the Task Manager menu, which then responds to my mouse and I can gracefully reboot it. After rebooting everything looks normal...

Your symptom sounds like a complete freeze... Hope you'll get a good result back. I just love everything else about this laptop.

MOCHIMOCHI
Paper Tape
Views: 706
Message 5 of 9

I just got my computer back from the depot repair. It takes 3 days in total, much quicker than I expected. The computer works good so far. Besides it is cooler than it was. 

best_dad
Paper Tape
Views: 704
Message 6 of 9

Great to know. Thanks for keeping us posted. Did they say what they repaired? (Since the symptom happens randomly and is not easily reproduceable, I wonder how they repair.)

On my side, so far no re-occurrence of my freeze.

MOCHIMOCHI
Paper Tape
Views: 686
Message 7 of 9

They did not say what is repaired. All I know is the machine was opened, since the screws were kind of loose when I received the return. I assume it is something related to the cooling. The machine got hot very easily previously. Right now it is much better (only slightly warm when I am just doing text work. 

Stu_G
Paper Tape
Views: 384
Message 8 of 9

My  X1 carbon 6th gen freezes, specifically the Trackpad freezes up, while the keyboard is still "alive".

This is the 2nd motherboard replaced.

1st Motherboard died with no charging/ intermittent charging, then died.

2nd Motherboard  replaced as the system was stuck/throttled down to 400mhz, instead of the 1.8ghz+ cpu speed.

No sooner that the onsite technician had left than the firts of two "trackpad freezes" occurred.

Imediately SMS'ed just departed technician.

This laptop is just on 1 year old , but with all the issues i've probably had barely 5 good months of use - the rest in frustration.

newuxi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 349
Message 9 of 9

OMG,I have the same problem these days. The laptop became very hot and freezes.
Looks like I need to return it and get fixed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors