02-23-2017

US

15 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 1 of 6

X1 carbon 6th gen plugged in not charging

2019-03-06, 20:11 PM

I have a client with 40+ of the new X1 Carbon 6th gens and thunderbolt 3 docks.  They are having intermittent issues with the docks.

the laptops will say "plugged in not charging " for a day or so and the next morning they will charge just fine. The battery conditioning options in Vantage have been turned off and all the latest firmware and drivers have been installed.  Then there is an issue where their logitech wireless keyboard / mouse reciever ( plugged into the dock) wont be recognized. The quick fix is to power cycle the dock and the usb reciever starts working. Dock security features have beend isabled in the bios so the laptop will connect to any docking station thats plugged in.    Has anyone experienced something similar?

20KH002RUS
WIN,i7-8650U,16G,AMT,TPM2,vPro, 512gb ssd
Windows 10 1803
Options

25 Posts

12-19-2013

US

52 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 carbon 6th gen plugged in not charging

2019-03-07, 19:32 PM

I have 2 X1 Carbon acting up on thunderbolt 3 docks. Probably going to request a hardware repair of the carbon but I'm not 100% sure it will fix.

> the laptops will say "plugged in not charging " 

Yes I've experienced this, when it happens nothing works on the dock. A fix is to do the power reset hole on the bottom of laptop. That makes the dock work again but the issue will come back. This is with all updates including the most recent BIOS from Today 3/7.

Another laptop the dock and laptop just don't work together. 2 devices in device manager that dont get drivers properly, and I can't even upgrade the firmware of the thunderbolt it acts like it doesn't exist. Reinstalling thunderbolt drivers doesn't help.

I've also noticed when they have problems sometimes the ThunderBolt software icon in the tray will disappear/reappear, essentially crashing and restarting.

I don't have any solution for you, but I don't think the x1 Carbon+ thunderbolt 3 dock is very reliable at this point.

Options

2 Posts

02-23-2017

US

15 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 3 of 6

2019-03-07, 20:28 PM

They had the same issue where the tunderbolt port was not recognizing anything that was plugged into it. We ended up replacing the system board due to the thunderbolt controller bricking it self. It would not show , gave errors when the software and firmware were attemtped to be updated.  I personally have  the same laptop  and i have not had any issues. however i do not use a docking station.

Options

25 Posts

12-19-2013

US

52 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2019-03-07, 20:30 PM
Thanks for confirming the system board replace can help with this one. That's at least good news.
Options

25 Posts

12-19-2013

US

52 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2019-04-09, 19:38 PM

A board replace did help for one of my issues,

But another person got a whole new computer and then still got the "not charging" issue.

This is with the Thinkpad Pro Dock.

Frustrating, I guess the requiring of battery reset appears to be a common issue with some models. Hopefully some BIOS updates in future can help fix.

2020-01-18, 1:14 AM

I had the same problem the first time I use the docking station, try mani things but nothing.

check memory

m.2 nvme

charger

wifi

everything points to the motherboard  but I didn't want to expend that money,

so I found this SOLUTION

Remove battery

Unplug BIOS battery

Press the power button for 30 seconds

Leave everything unplug for a couple of hours (won't work if you plug right away)

After you put everything back together it will give you a beep code, just set the time and your are fixed.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save