08-01-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 carbon 7th gen (20r1) debian 10 issues

2020-08-01, 12:20 PM
I had just bought this laptop. After trying to install windows 7 ultimate I learned there is no usb3 support nor download for drivers for the chipset. Not compatible with new hardware. Then I went to debian 10 and installed it on the entire hard drive because w10 is horrible. Now have the issue of the screen being totally blank with a blinking dash at the top left corner after it boots up. Has anyone had succuss with installing debian? I'm about to go to arch Linux but I'd prefer to stick with the debian style package manager over Pac-Man.
Options

168 Posts

07-22-2019

CA

195 Signins

1791 Page Views

• Views: 1791
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:X1 carbon 7th gen (20r1) debian 10 issues

2020-08-10, 3:06 AM

Hi @Shota-m 

I've run Debian quite happily on my X1C7. A warning - you have to jump through some hoops to get the audio working. I've not had a problem with the screen but I've not tried Buster on it in a very long time.

Recommend grabbing the latest testing image (the alpha image for Bullseye was pretty good last time I tried it (admittedly a month or so ago on an X1C8) if you're not comfortable with testing).

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/

You will need to install the SOF firmware and topology files - there are a bunch of guides out there and I have a doc written somewhere I can dig up if you get stuck though it might be a bit dated.

Just as an aside - I'm currently working with a Debian dev to get the audio fixed up. Hoping that will fall into place soon.

I don't think it helps you based on what your wrote but both Fedora and Ubuntu have been well tested by us should work well out of the box (and of course are a good alternative to Windows ;)). Lots of Arch users have reported success and they have great documentation but I don't have experience with it personally.

Mark

Options

1 Posts

08-01-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:X1 carbon 7th gen (20r1) debian 10 issues

2020-08-10, 3:12 AM
I got kubuntu 20.04 lts running smoothly. Everything from anbox, Android studio, and atom editor works great. I'm going to see if I can get alpine Linux running along side for the dual boot as an option. Thanks for the reply.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete