Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zvicohenzion
Paper Tape
Views: 638
Message 1 of 4

X1 carbon (Gen5) WWAN card - international users - urgent help needed

Hello,

I just ordered the new X1 Carbon (Gen5) from the US website with WWAN card: Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A (Sierra Wireless EM7455).

I live in Israel, and it came attention that this specific WWAN card might not work in my country. 

According to my local carrier, if this card supports GSM or LTE it should work. 

In the card's technical specifications it metions support for LTE-A (not sure there is a difference?)

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with this? I am wondering if I should take the chance or cancel my order. 

Thank you for your help. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 565
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 carbon (Gen5) WWAN card - international users - urgent help needed

Hello and welcome

em7455 doesn't support GSM technology, UMTS,HSDPA,HSPA+,LTE does.

What Israel operator do you plan to work with?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

zvicohenzion
Paper Tape
Views: 556
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your help. 

The operator's name is Partner (also goes by the name "Orange"). 

From the info I managed to find, the 4G LTE frequency Orange-Israel runs on is 1800Mhz-band 3. 

(This Wiki page (in hebrew) specifies all frequencies the local carriers run on: https://he.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%AA%D7%A7%D7%A9%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%AA_%D7%A1%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%A8%... )

If I understand correctly it is not enough that "Orange" runs on LTE, it must also use a frequency band that is compatible to the WWAN card. 

these are the 4G LTE frequencies that card supports: 

Category

Cat-6 

Frequency Bands

B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7, B12, B13, B20, B25, B26, B29, B30, B41 

3G

link to card specs in Sierrawireless.com: https://www.sierrawireless.com/products-and-solutions/embedded-solutions/networking-modules/

Link to X1 Carbon 5 specifications:http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20X1%20Carbon%20(5th%20Gen)/ThinkPad_X1_Ca...

it seems like it might be compatible, but i'm not sure. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 552
Message 4 of 4

You are absolutely right in your investgation and conclusion. The wwan card supports your operator as well as everyone in Israel who operates in the band B3.

The only question is/might be default modem (more clearly, modem's firmware) and drivers installation settings. As you've purchased the laptop and modem in the USA, most likely the modem has AT&T or Verizon related default settings. You might change them in the Configuration.ini file once the drivers are unpacked and saved to the disk, but not installed yet. Or apply Orange related frmware image manually later. Both methods might need a bit manuals digging.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors