cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcb193
Punch Card
Views: 3,534
Message 1 of 16

X1 carbon Verizon support?? Or Verizon wwan??

So one of the main reasons I bought the x1 carbon was because I wanted a laptop with 3G built in. I hate messing with mifi or hot spots. All the promotional materials stated this would be Verizon capable and I even confirmed with two Lenovo customer service people that this would be Verizon capable before buying. I just found out today it is not, I know there is a thread addressing the lack of Lenovo broadband, but nobody from Lenovo has addressed the lack of Verizon support. I'm starting to feel like lando calrisian, in that this x1 carbon deal keeps getting worse and worse. 

Is there any near term chance of Verizon support, or should I just send it back now and be done with it.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,512
Message 2 of 16

Re: X1 carbon Verizon support?? Or Verizon wwan??

Will we see a Qualcomm GOBI card that supports Verizon LTE?  What about the Verizon 3G CDMA/EVDO network? I really don't care about the brand and maker as long as it works.

I would like an embedded option, so would my wife.  I have spoiled her with the Verizon chip in her T400.  I would like to spoil her again with a X1 Carbon, but we would really like to use the Verizon network for data if possible.

Could one of the Lenovo employees clarify what is available today in that regard?

Thanks,

Thor

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,448
Message 3 of 16

@jcb193 wrote:

Is there any near term chance of Verizon support, or should I just send it back now and be done with it.

Hopefuly someone will answer today.

jcb193
Punch Card
Views: 3,418
Message 4 of 16

Got a message from admin mark (super fast response to my pm) and he said he would have a product engineer comment in this thread. Seems to be th most impressive Lenovo person yet!
ceb
WWAN
Views: 3,403
Message 5 of 16

@jcb193 wrote:
Got a message from admin mark (super fast response to my pm) and he said he would have a product engineer comment in this thread. Seems to be th most impressive Lenovo person yet!

Yep, Mark seems like a good guy and must be pretty frustrated at times with the stupid things that Lnovo does.

The response from the product engineer will be interesting.

Former Administrator
Views: 3,329
Message 6 of 16

Ceb, Thor, JCB,

I had the discussion with the engineer and unfortunately AT & T is the required carrier in the US - has to do with the Ericsson card compatibility.  The PSREF sheet notes this to some degree by saying AT & T contract required, but doesn't specifically say other carriers won't work.

I've updated my comment on the other thread accordingly. 

I'll talk to our marketing site web team and see if the summary spec sheet can be updated to make this more clear.

JCB, I realize this isn't good news for you.  I apologize.  Smiley Sad

Maybe you can check with AT & T ?   Let me know via PM if you need more help depending on your decision about the X1 carbon.

Best regards,

Mark

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,320
Message 7 of 16

Hopefully you guys will convince Qualcomm to make some cards of the appropriate size to support all of the networks and speeds. 

We have quite a few people in my company using AT&T but we also have an equally impressive number using Verizon wireless. 

jcb193
Punch Card
Views: 3,303
Message 8 of 16

Major bummer, but thanks for the update mark. I wish we could clone you and put you in every other position at Lenovo, as my experience with almost ever other person had been disastrous. 

And chance of a verizon card in the future?

ceb
WWAN
Views: 3,290
Message 9 of 16

@jcb193 wrote:

Major bummer, but thanks for the update mark. I wish we could clone you and put you in every other position at Lenovo, as my experience with almost ever other person had been disastrous. 

And chance of a verizon card in the future?

+100

Verizon card? Probably not.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,254
Message 10 of 16

Since X1 Carbon can use half-size PCI Express MiniCard module only the choice is limited (currently to non-supported Ericsson H5321). Sierra Wireless provides full-size PCI Express MiniCard modules but they also make integrated editions, the module would be soldered to the mainboard that limits number of options but requires less space than regular full-size module.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors