cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theking2
Token Ring
Views: 694
Message 1 of 10

X1 carbon doesn't boot after latest windows 10 update (23.8)

How do I recover from the latest Windows 10 Update? The X1 display is empty after boot.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 667
Message 2 of 10

Re: X1 carbon doesn't boot after latest windows 10 update (23.8)

At what stage do you get an empty screen?

Have you tried booting Windows 10 USB recovery media?

theking2
Token Ring
Views: 633
Message 3 of 10

Lenovo/Microsoft apparnetly screwed up on the latest update.

Did a reset on the machine, lost all installed applications.

They put a man on the moon, why is it so difficult to not screw up a working PC installation.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 624
Message 4 of 10

For others reading this thead: there's a chance that turning off secure boot may be a temporary work-around.

My machines haven't had this issue so I can't say one way or the other.  Feedback welcome.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

cbx1yoga
Paper Tape
Views: 594
Message 5 of 10

I also have this problem. The screen stays either black or black with the Lenovo label. And it is not possible to enter the safe mode. But I think the laptop boots up, because the fingerprint reader is glowing and when I enter my fingerprint I hear some notifications. 

Help would be appreciated, thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 591
Message 6 of 10

Did you try turning off secure boot as suggested above?

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501760

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

cbx1yoga
Paper Tape
Views: 585
Message 7 of 10

Yeah It worked. Thank you

theking2
Token Ring
Views: 582
Message 8 of 10

Switch off secure boot is bad advise. Next?
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 481
Message 9 of 10

Moderator comment: A non-contributive post that also contained an ad-hominem attack has been removed - Community Rules. Keep it civil.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 452
Message 10 of 10

All,

Microsoft's KB3176937 which was being delivered to some machines along with the anniversary update was causing the black screen problem.  Turning off secure boot (which then caused CSM support to be enabled) was the interim work-around and allowed the system to function with that KB present.

Now that MS has pulled the KB and replaced it with KB3176938 secure boot can and should be re-enabled.  That requires removing KB3176937 end ensuring that KB3176938 is installed.

Link to Lenovo service tip including instructions for systems that are UEFI-only and don't have CSM support:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-t0077

Z.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors