Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ovonrein
Paper Tape
Views: 629
Message 31 of 38

Re: X1 - erratic trackpoint - Synaptics 19.3.4.99

" It should already provide more range at the high end." It should indeed. This is yet further proof (if it were needed) that Lenovo does not believe in the trackpoint any longer and will not develop it. Shame.
lenovo_thinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 597
Message 32 of 38

It saddens me to think that next time we purchase laptops we will be looking around. There has been a myriad of small problems we've had when buying new ThinkPads this time around, including the TrackPoint issue. It's been battery issues, connection issues, and more.

We love the keyboard, but the whole slashing the larger capacity batteries for some ThinkPad series while still not being able to supply the market with their own Lenovo PowerBank USB-C because it's sold out in a corner of the world and hasn't even reached all continents is frustrating.

Poor execution leads to looking for other brands.

NancyRo
Paper Tape
Views: 497
Message 33 of 38

I have a Carbon X1 Gen 4 that I bought in Nov 2016 but didn't start using till March 2017.  Within a very short time, the trackpoint started misbehaving intermittently but often ... I have to push it with all my might just to have it move a tiny bit across the screen.  As other folks have said, this is a huge problem when trying to use the laptop.

Geek Squad helped me to replace drivers etc to no avail.  Eventually, I got the keyboard replaced under warranty (a pain, since I had to remove all my data then reload it), but the problem recurred again within just a few months. 

I'm debating whether to try another keyboard replacement, but the posts here make me think we all need to push Lenovo to fix this. 

I'm in agreement that this is a great little laptop EXCEPT for the trackpoint problem, and that I buy Lenovo since I LOVE trackpoints and hate trackpads and external mice.  But if this problem isn't fixed, then I will need to go look for another vendor who has a trackpoint (does that exist?) that works, since this problem cannot be tolerated

Please help us, Lenovo!   .....N

Highlighted
Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 468
Message 34 of 38

There is new firmware update. Giving it a try at the moment...

Jerome10
Paper Tape
Views: 442
Message 35 of 38

FYI I believe I do now have an update installed through Lenovo Vantage.  Granted this is a replacement laptop (I did return the 1st one I was having issues with). 

But I can't say that I've had the trackpoint issue for the last week or two.

Keeping fingers crossed.  Will follow-up if the issue returns.

But I'd suggest going through Lenovo Vantage and doing the updates there and see if it might solve the issue.

j0rd_rox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 64
Message 36 of 38

I still experience drift with x1c6, others are experiencing this issue with newer x1c7's 

Has the issue been resolved for you? Or (like me) are you just struggling with it?

I'd like to buy another laptop with out this issue, as I lose a lot of time daily fighting with it.

NancyRo
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 37 of 38

I continue to have difficulties on my Carbon X1 Gen 4, despite all the new code levels that have been installed since I got the laptop in 2016.  I was forced to learn to use an external mouse (which I hate), because the trackpoint was exhausting to try to use and I was accidentally deleting a lot of files as I tried to get the trackpoint to move and accidentally clicked on things unintentionally.  It's a real pain when I take the laptop on the road and forget to take the external mouse, or when I'm trying to use it on my lap (what a novel thought!) and don't have any space to run the mouse.

I agree with you that it would be nice to know if Lenovo has fixed this in newer generations of laptops.  Seeing as the Trackpoint was the key reason that I have always bought Lenovo, it's hard to believe that they seem to be ignoring this problem!  Hopefully someone will fill us in.  Thank you for asking!   ....N

PS - for the record, the problem with my Trackpoint is that I have to push with all my might to get the mouse cursor to move, and sometimes I can't even get it to move far enough across the screen to do the things I need.  I did a bit of troubleshooting with Lenovo while the machine was under warranty (loaded new code and replaced the keyboard), but then I was ill for an extended period so my warranty expired before I was able to get a resolution from them.  Thereafter, they refused to take my calls - very disappointing - I no longer recommend Lenovo to my friends as a result.

ovonrein
Paper Tape
Views: 39
Message 38 of 38

Nancy, there is no point in pushing "with all my might".  A better course of action is simply to fetch a coffee.  As was explained earlier in this thread, what is tripping us all up is a periodic self-"recalibration" of the trackpoint.  Just let it get on with it.  If you fight it during that routine, it will only take longer. 

I recently performed my annual reboot / all-round update and am now running version 19.3.4.224 (1/10/2019) of the Synaptics driver.  I had hoped that Lenovo finally got on top of this issue.  Alas, no.  The good news is that the recalibration routine seems more transparent today (I have not been plagued by much drifting cursors).  The bad news is that it still resets the Mouse Properties back to defaults each time it finishes.

As you write, it is infuriating how little time Lenovo appears to invest into fixing this issue when so many of us buy their laptops because of that little trackpoint.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors