Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ovonrein
Paper Tape
Views: 1,002
Message 11 of 35

Re: X1 - erratic trackpoint - Synaptics 19.3.4.99

It is not a hardware issue.  Don't change keyboards - waste of time.  The problem usually goes away after anywhere between 1 to 5 minutes.  Grab a coffee when it happens.  Or write a hatemail here to keep the topic alive, after having had too many coffees.

Twang1337
Serial Port
Views: 958
Message 12 of 35

https://imgur.com/LCVFRNW

I get the same problem. X1 carbon Gen 6 on driver

synaptic pointing device 19.3.4.210

anyone found a better solution?

erkimarious
Fanfold Paper
Views: 938
Message 13 of 35

Same problem here! Would be nice to hear something from Lenovo regarding this.

Jerome10
Paper Tape
Views: 884
Message 14 of 35

I have a X1 Carbon purchased July 2018, running 19.3.4.210 as of 9 July 2018.  If I'm reading correctly, my laptop was built 18/02 (so February 2018)

I am getting a very similar problem.  I at first thought it was only happening after wake, and only with touchpad or trackpad, but then today, using my Logitech bluetooth mouse (so not touchpad or the touchpoint) after 15 minutes or so, and suddenly the cursor started drifting again.  Stops about 5 seconds after starting to drift.  But nothing works when it drifts, not the touchpad, trackpoint, or my bluetooth mouse.

Got this laptop at Costco and I'm thinking of exchanging it within the 90 day window.   Can we definitely say that this is software related and NOT a touchpoint problem?  I don't want to have to setup a replacement computer and then find that the new one does the same thing because it is software and not hardware.  In doing some research, other Lenovo models it sounds like it WAS a hardware problem.

I owned a T430s before this one and NEVER had this issue.  So I don't think this can just be said "every trackpoint does this auto-calibration", or my previous 2 T Series laptops would have done the same thing.

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 862
Message 15 of 35

Hi,

It seems to be a general problem with the latest X1 carbon and yoga models (2017, 2018). All Thinkpad trackpoints do the re-calibration process but this normally lasts up to 3 seconds and occurs when necessary, i.e., when a new stationary position (the zero of the sensor) is probable. But here, not only the frequency is much greater, but also the way it recalibrates is different making the whole process last much longer and with other side effects. I am really really shocked by the way Lenovo treats so crucial issues like these. I cannot understand who is responsible for these and who does not do their job properly. It is such a pity, these machines are amazing! They are incredible, so much work has been done, and they just do not care for something so crucial!! It is beyond my understanding. I hope this is not deliberate so as to discourage people from using the trackpoint and make them transition to the touchpad and thus get rid of it soon. My current explanation is that they have changed the algorithm that re-calibrates being much more sensitive and also requiring much more time to stop drifting. Their initial aim may have been to make it harder to drift and re-calibrate requiring longer time of being in the new position, but the effect happens the opposite way, because once it drifts it will drift for long and get into this state of unpredictable behavior. Unfortunately, they do not provide any details about these settings and how one could change them. I tried some things in the registry but it was not very clear what i am tweeking. People in linux though have similar problems. Luckily, the X1 tablet 3rd generation is behaving properly, with only occasional drift of the normal 3 seconds duration. The 5 + 5 seconds of the carbon and yoga are definitely a software choice that is part of the problem. I do not understand how lenovo expects this feedback to reach the appropriate team. It is a recent problem but one that appeared more than 1-2 years ago. I hope they sort it our, we rely on the trackpoint for our work. I do not know how widespread it is and if it affects all machines but simply not other people care or touch it in different ways.

ovonrein
Paper Tape
Views: 834
Message 16 of 35

"I don't understand ..." They fail to appreciate how many dinosaurs like us are around who actually mainly buy their machines precisely because they still have a trackpoint Smiley Wink

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 823
Message 17 of 35

I heard that X1 Carbon 6th has a trackpoint firmware problem that causes this issue.  There will be new firmware to fix it, but I don't know the release date yet.  Sorry for this trouble.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 797
Message 18 of 35

@someotherguy wrote:

I heard that X1 Carbon 6th has a trackpoint firmware problem that causes this issue.  There will be new firmware to fix it, but I don't know the release date yet.  Sorry for this trouble.

The exact same symptoms occur with the X1 Yoga 3rd gen. Do you happen to know whether a fix for the X1Y3 is also in the works? 

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 791
Message 19 of 35

Hi someotherguy, thank you for your response! It will be fantastic if this gets solved. However, as previous comment says, I believe the yoga suffers from same issue as well.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 789
Message 20 of 35

@joesixgig wrote:

@someotherguy wrote:

The exact same symptoms occur with the X1 Yoga 3rd gen. Do you happen to know whether a fix for the X1Y3 is also in the works? 

The X1 Yoga 3rd problem seems to be about switching modes (e.g. tent to laptop) so it can't be same issue as X1 Carbon 6th which doesn't have such modes.  Am I misunderstanding the problem?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors