Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 615
Message 21 of 35

Re: X1 - erratic trackpoint - Synaptics 19.3.4.99

I have not seen the yoga issue. I have ordered one with the hope that this will not present this same problem as the carbon which i had to return. It will arrive in a few days and I can update. Probably it is a different problem but I am personally not aware of how it manifests. In the carbon i am sure cause i have seen it in two devices and it is almost identical. I say almost because it is stochastic anyway and it is hard to reproduce, but the characteristics and timing are the same once it appears. People who own the yoga can also provide some feedback. It is probable that the problem is the same since they have same hardware and same drivers. The different modes may add an additional complexity to the already existing problem present in the carbon. So, for example, changing modes can trigger it, but it could be triggered anyway in the same manner as the carbon while staying in a single mode.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 604
Message 22 of 35

@someotherguy wrote:

@joesixgig wrote:

@someotherguy wrote:

I heard that X1 Carbon 6th has a trackpoint firmware problem that causes this issue.  There will be new firmware to fix it, but I don't know the release date yet.  Sorry for this trouble.

The exact same symptoms occur with the X1 Yoga 3rd gen. Do you happen to know whether a fix for the X1Y3 is also in the works? 

The X1 Yoga 3rd problem seems to be about switching modes (e.g. tent to laptop) so it can't be same issue as X1 Carbon 6th which doesn't have such modes.  Am I misunderstanding the problem?

I guess "exact same symptoms" was overstating it a bit. Smiley Happy  So to rephrase: the X1Y3 also has a trackpoint drift problem. Has this been reproduced by Lenovo engineers? Probably best to respond in that thread, since it may be unrelated. 

Jerome10
Paper Tape
Views: 567
Message 23 of 35

Is the agreement on the X1 Carbon that returning it and getting another will NOT solve the issue?

Thankfully mine only seems to last 3-5 seconds when it happens, while I hear other people it lasts longer. 

And I really don't want to setup a new machine if this is a firmware or software problem present on all laptops.

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 556
Message 24 of 35

Hi, i am 99% sure a device or a keyboard replacement wont fix the problem. 

Twang1337
Serial Port
Views: 540
Message 25 of 35

@Mods - any updates on possibility of trackpoint firmware update to the X1C Gen 6? It's been available for Yoga for some time (Which, some users report problem persists)

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 515
Message 26 of 35

Obviously and as i expected with my new yoga x1 3rd generation the problem is exactly the same as with the carbon. I have not checked the potentional additional problem of drifting when switching between different modes.

This HAS to be fixed, it is ridiculous and totally unacceptable. It has been there even for the 2017 models. I cannot believe people with the 2017 models had to cope with this issue for so long and still there is no official and proper resolution. I hope this will not be the case with 2018 models as well. How would Lenovo managers feel if they bought a car with a steering wheel that occasionally acts randomly drifting them to the side of the road? Would they complain or not?

ezekielmarmoset
Paper Tape
Views: 482
Message 27 of 35

Yeah, I saw precisely the same issue before and after keyboard replacement (x1 carbon gen 5). Didn't notice any difference at all after the switch.

ovonrein
Paper Tape
Views: 462
Message 28 of 35

"no difference after switch"  Since it is not a hardware issue, you can switch hardware as much as you like. 

For what it is worth, I am having a torrid time at present with this problem.  Much worse than in winter.  My impression is that the issue might be aggravated by higher ambient temperatures.   So it may be an interaction between driver and hardware.

I have my trackpoint speed ordinarily set to Fast (in Settings/Mouse).   You know you are in trouble when the software resets that setting, as it seems to do with every recalibration.  I had to reset Fast may be 10 times per hour yesterday.  Insane.

Twang1337
Serial Port
Views: 434
Message 29 of 35

Interesting behaviour.
I too have noticed more trackpoint drifiting on X1C worsening in the warm.

and i too have just noticed when you go to trackpoint sensitivity setting - it defaults back to the middle (i usually set it to fast)

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 432
Message 30 of 35

yes, it needs to be set to fast and sensitive with the with resolution displays, otherwise it takes ages to go through all of these pixels. It should already provide more range at the high end.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors