Canada

33 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 extreme gen 3 chassis problem...

2020-10-08, 18:22 PM

Hi!

I just opened up my X1 extreme gen 3 to confirm how expandable it was (memory, SSD, etc..).

I had read (and reconfirmed by looking at videos) that the screws were supposed to stay with the bottom part of the chassis.

I followed to the letter a video that described how to open the chassis including using a plastic spudger to gently pull apart the chassis.

Well, one of the screws, the one in the middle near the lid hinge did not have a clip (circlip?) to make sure it stays attached;

It fell on the ground and I was able to find it... I checked in the laptop and there are no trace there was ever a clip (circlip?) attached to it (I did not want to risk having it short the motherboard).

My problem now is that it does not want to screw...

The chassis clipped back perfectly and al the other screws are perfectly fine...

I tried to screw the screw directly in the place it is supposed to screw and it did.

I did not however fully screw it since the chassis piece was not there and because of this I could possibly have been able to screw it deeper that it should and damage something.

My guess is that because that clip (circlip?) is not there it no longer perfectly line up with the hole...

Any ideas what I should do with this? I am not a fan of not having things perfectly screwed down especially for such a pricy piece of hardware...

If I am right about the missing clip (circlip?) being the reason I cannot screw it because it does not line up with the screw hole I guess if there was a way to obtain it I could try to put it back in place...

I did try to slightly change the angle at which I was screwing the screw but nothing worked...

Thank you for any suggestions!

Nick

PS: This is far from the first time I open a computer, I used to work for a computer store in the past and most of my desktops I build by choosing each and every piece I put in them.

Options

86 Posts

03-30-2020

Australia

68 Signins

736 Page Views

• Views: 736
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:X1 extreme gen 3 chassis problem...

2020-10-09, 0:52 AM

service manual: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p1_gen3_x1_extreme_gen3_hmm_en.pdf

Hopefully this helps? from what i can see the screws are just your garden variety

Options

19 Posts

09-19-2020

Canada

33 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:X1 extreme gen 3 chassis problem...

2020-10-09, 2:12 AM

Thank you, that`s quite a nice thing to have...

Unfortunately those screws are not exactly like the rest and are supposed to stay attached to the bottom piece of the chassis and the one I have problem with does not have the clip (circlip?) that's supposed to keep it in place.

I am beginning to wonder if it was screwed in the first place and not held in place by something like locktite (the bottom of the screw has a different colour) as despite many attempts this screw will simply not screw in place...

I am also worrying about where that clip (circlip?) that's supposed to held it in place went or if it was there in the first place.... As that thing is most likely metal I am afraid it could short something...

When I tried to screw the screw in place without the bottom chassis part it gave me the impression it might be cross threaded which is very bad news if true... 

I read that some people with X1 extreme gen 2 had some screw problems but none of them seem to describe the exact problem I am seeing...

I am experienced when it comes to opening computers as it used to be my job and very careful when I do so so I am quite concerned that my less than a month old computer is broken.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms