Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

60 Posts

10-11-2018

United States of America

103 Signins

1071 Page Views

• Views: 1071
  • Message 141 of 234

Re: X1 extreme screen lag on "second screen only"

2019-12-06, 0:32 AM

wrote:

I'm running the latest NVIDIA drivers available directly from NVIDIA since those work just fine, unlike the Intel Graphics drivers that require you to get them from the system vendor unless you want to use the "Have Disk" method in Device Manager.

On my P1 Gen 1 I'm currently using the drivers directly available from Intel and Nvidia, instead of the Lenovo supplied versions. They both install normally via their installers, no need for the "have disk" method.

When I was using the Lenovo supplied drivers, my computer would occasionally lock up or spontaneously reboot when using an external monitor. Since switching to the Intel + Nvidia drivers a few months ago I have not had this problem. Don't know if the problem was fixed by a changing driver versions or just by the act of uninstalling and reinstalling, but I have stuck with the Intel + Nvidia drivers since then because they work fine and are updated more often than Lenovo supplied versions.

With the current Intel + Nvidia drivers (last updated a few weeks ago), I still experience the lag on external monitor, but only if I startup with both internal and external monitors active and then close the laptop lid (i.e. switch from internal + external to external only). If I reboot with external monitors attached and laptop lid closed, which is what I normally do at the office, then there is no lag. Because of this, the lag is not a big deal to me, I didn't even notice it until someone else mentioned it.

Options

75 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

88 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 142 of 234

2019-12-06, 2:31 AM

^ Good info, thanks.  I admittedly hadn't tried "stock" Intel Graphics drivers on this system.  I was basing that post on experience with other systems and just figured that it would be the same story here, but evidently not.

As to your observations, they line up with what everyone else has seen.  The problem condition seems to arise only when the Intel GPU transitions from active (supporting a display) to not running a display.  So if you start your system while the lid is closed, then the Intel GPU starts with nothing to do, and thus the issue doesn't present.  This is also why disabling and re-enabling the Intel GPU after closing the lid resolves the issue, since that achieves the same result of having the Intel GPU start with nothing to do rather than transitioning from active to inactive.

Options

14 Posts

08-31-2019

United States of America

26 Signins

87 Page Views

• Views: 87
  • Message 143 of 234

2019-12-06, 8:19 AM

Hi jphyghan,

I updated to the latest via NVIDEA Experience to confirm.

NVIDEA system hardware status reports driver is now 441.41 DCH

Confirmed working (no screen lag) together with the latest Intel drivers already installed.

Note, I am on a Gen 1 Extreme

Options

60 Posts

10-11-2018

United States of America

103 Signins

1071 Page Views

• Views: 1071
  • Message 144 of 234

2019-12-06, 17:30 PM

Per this post, the new driver has been withdrawn due to a problem with brightness control.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P1-Gen2-brightness-control-not-working/m-p/4591231/highlight/true#M84905

Options

75 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

88 Signins

678 Page Views

• Message 145 of 234

2019-12-06, 17:44 PM

Good info, although it sounds like for some users, rolling back the driver isn't restoring brightness control, although rolling back Windows itself to a time before you installed it in the first place works.  Sounds like the update may update a component that a rollback doesn't undo.  Hopefully a release that solves both this brightness issue and the lag issue together arrives soon.

Options

75 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

88 Signins

678 Page Views

• Message 146 of 234

2019-12-06, 18:34 PM

I just experimented with brightness on my own system where I had installed the now-retracted Intel Graphics version and found an interesting parallel to the lag issue discussed in this thread, which might explain why brightness broke while the lag issue was being addressed.  That insight also provides a semi-workaround to this brightness issue.

I had already installed the now-retracted Intel Graphics driver version 26.20.100.7529.  I work primarily with the lid closed and only external displays active.  When I opened my lid to test brightness control, it worked fine even on that version -- until I restarted my system and tried again, at which point it had no effect.  However, when I then closed the lid, disabled and re-enabled the Intel GPU in Device Manager, and opened the lid, brightness control worked again.

I then uninstalled that Intel Graphics driver version and installed the now-current 26.20.100.6911 version instead.  Unfortunately that did NOT restore normal functionality.  I now still have this same behavior from the retracted driver that I described above. I do have an older system image I could roll back to, but I don't want to do that just for this since I personally don't use the built-in display often.  But I can see how this incomplete rollback behavior would be hugely annoying to affected users.

So, bottom line: It seems that the common factor linking the lag and brightness issues is the question of what the Intel GPU is doing when it first starts, either with Windows or as a result of having been disabled and re-enabled.  If the Intel GPU has a display to drive when it first starts, then subsequently transitioning it to inactive by closing the lid causes the lag issue on external displays, as has been found.  And now this startup condition causes brightness controls to be inoperable.  By comparison, if the Intel GPU has nothing to do when it first starts because the lid is closed, then there's no lag issue on external displays, and a subsequent transition to ACTIVE by opening the lid allows brightness controls to work.

UPDATE: Ok, this is weird.  I tried disabling and re-enabling the Intel GPU while I had external displays attached and the lid open, so the Intel GPU would be active when it first started back up, and brightness control worked.  So then I thought that maybe this problem only occurs if Windows itself starts up with the lid open, but I've now restarted my system multiple times with the lid open, both with and without external displays attached, and I still have working brightness control, no need to disable and re-enable the Intel GPU anymore.  I can close and reopen the lid, attach/disconnect external displays, etc., and it stays working.  This is all on the 26.20.100.6911 driver, just to be clear.

Options

7 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 147 of 234

2019-12-07, 15:03 PM

Just to chime in that I was also having the extreme screen lag on second screen (X1Eg2 OLED), updated the Intel GFX drivers and lost brightness control in the process.  The only solution for me was a W10 rollback but if I let the Windows Update run, my system gets messed up again and looses brightness control. This is insane :( ! 

Options

7 Posts

12-08-2019

United States of America

10 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 148 of 234

2019-12-08, 18:07 PM

I tried several solutions proposed here and other threads, but I am still having a significant screen lagging issue for the second screens (two 4K screens linked via TB3 dock workstation model). On top of this, the computer throttles constantly even when I move my mouse pointer and likewise, I am getting a battery life of fewer than 2 hours when disconnected from the power! One issue that others have reported (screening dimming control) was solved by doing a complete reinstall of the system. This is really disappointing as I've bought this after seeing so many positive reviews about this and previous Gen 1 models. As others have said already, this is really not something one should experience from a flagship model like X1E out of the box! I've already spent 6+ hours searching on the web and this community, trying multiple solutions. The laptop at its current state is performing much less than my 2 year old Huawei Matebook X Pro (i7 U series, 16GB RAM)!! Lenovo, please find an adequate solution for these issues (battery life, screen lagging, and other performance issues) soon!  

Options

7 Posts

10-09-2019

Romania

17 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 149 of 234

2019-12-12, 7:06 AM

I agree with you brahms77. I have similar config (the only difference is that I have samsung 2k monitors) and same issues. I tried every hint from forums (including this). Nothing solve the lag (45-55 seconds from the moment when I push the power on the TB3). I'm also still waiting from a Lenovo solution. Good luck.

Options

11627 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33047 Signins

1235895 Page Views

• Views: 1235895
  • Message 150 of 234

2019-12-11, 13:46 PM

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms