Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

12-08-2019

United States of America

10 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 171 of 234

Re: X1 extreme screen lag on "second screen only"

2019-12-13, 14:55 PM
AH! Thanks for this detailed explanation. 27UD88 has USB-C as well as two HDMI and Display port inputs. So, I can use the USB-C to Display port cable to test. I can confirm that connecting USB-C (monitor) to USB-C (X1E) works just fine. So, as you said, I think it's an issue of HDMI that does not support refresh rate beyond 30 hz. Since I want to use the TB3 workstation dock, I think USB-C to Display port is the only option to use two of 27UD88s in parallel.
Options

75 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

88 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 172 of 234

2019-12-13, 16:24 PM

wrote:
AH! Thanks for this detailed explanation. 27UD88 has USB-C as well as two HDMI and Display port inputs. So, I can use the USB-C to Display port cable to test. I can confirm that connecting USB-C (monitor) to USB-C (X1E) works just fine. So, as you said, I think it's an issue of HDMI that does not support refresh rate beyond 30 hz. Since I want to use the TB3 workstation dock, I think USB-C to Display port is the only option to use two of 27UD88s in parallel.

Ok, I missed the connection between you saying you had "monitor(s)" connected to a dock and the reference to the specific 27UD88 model, since those were in two separate posts.  Now I see that you're trying to run two of those displays through that dock.  Some docks allocate the display bandwidth they receive from the system differently, and sometimes there are limitations there.  A Thunderbolt 3 dock that uses DisplayPort 1.2 gets two full DisplayPort 1.2 interfaces (8x HBR2 lanes) out of the system, but that doesn't mean the dock can assign those in any combination.  For example, on the Dell WD19TB when used with a DisplayPort 1.2-based system, 4 lanes are always allocated to the "upstream" USB-C/TB3 port, while the remaining 4 lanes are divided across all remaining outputs.  Since a 4K 60 Hz display consumes almost 4 lanes all on its own, the result is that if you want to run a single 4K 60 Hz display and any other display, one of them has to be on the "upstream" USB-C/TB3 port.  I remember a Lenovo dock having a similar limitation, but I'm not sure which one it was anymore.  Strangely though, according to this page, the matrix for the Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock suggests that it can run dual 4K 60 Hz displays using either the two DisplayPort outputs, or the two HDMI ports, or one DisplayPort and one HDMI (as long as you use one port from each "pair bank"), or USB-C and either one of those other output types.  But maybe the documentation isn't right?  Whatever the case, if you've got a setup that works for you now, then I wouldn't mess with it.  I guess just be aware that these types of restrictions can exist in case you run into issues like this with other products. :)

Options

7 Posts

12-08-2019

United States of America

10 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 173 of 234

2019-12-13, 16:29 PM
Thanks again for your detailed explanation. First of all, the test that I did with USB-C was with just one monitor directly connected to my X1E. I haven't tried with TB3 dock. If Lenovo is advertising and specifying that two HDMI or Display port or USB C connections to the dock can support 4K monitors, they really have to do more thorough testing to make sure that these are correct. Customers don't really have a choice to test these things on-site... and returning is a bit of hassle. Will try with USB-C to Displayport option next week.
Options

75 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

88 Signins

678 Page Views

• Message 174 of 234

2019-12-13, 17:22 PM

wrote:
Thanks again for your detailed explanation. First of all, the test that I did with USB-C was with just one monitor directly connected to my X1E. I haven't tried with TB3 dock. If Lenovo is advertising and specifying that two HDMI or Display port or USB C connections to the dock can support 4K monitors, they really have to do more thorough testing to make sure that these are correct. Customers don't really have a choice to test these things on-site... and returning is a bit of hassle. Will try with USB-C to Displayport option next week.

Ok, then just for future reference it would be helpful to clarify your exact setup with each test.  In your first post about this, you mentioned "external monitor(s)" -- which doesn't precisely clarify how many monitors were connected, never mind how -- 30 Hz, a TB3 Workstation Dock, and a direct HDMI connection.  And at that point it wasn't even clear what monitor you were using.  If you still have trouble, it would help to post something like, "I have display model XYZ, which I'm connecting [to dock model XYZ or directly to my system] using this type of cable, and this is the result.  I have also tried [this other setup] and the result was [the same/different]."  And if the cable doesn't have the same connector on both sides, clarify which connector you're using on each end, because I've helped people where the issue turned out to be that they were using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to connect an HDMI output to a DisplayPort input, which they didn't realize isn't allowed.  The more precisely people who are able and willing to help understand exactly what you're doing, the more likely they'll be able to provide information that's useful to you. :)

Options

60 Posts

10-11-2018

United States of America

103 Signins

1071 Page Views

• Views: 1071
  • Message 175 of 234

2019-12-13, 18:08 PM

Guys, the recent discussion is off-topic and is polluting this thread. Please take it elsewhere.

Options

7 Posts

10-09-2019

Romania

17 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 176 of 234

2019-12-16, 17:35 PM

You're right @spocko. Our problems persist but the thread is marked as solved.
I wondering if I open a new thread for the same issue what happen?
I presume it will be marked as duplicate or something else...
But, to reiterate my issue.
X1 extreme 2nd gen, TB3, 2k samsund external display.
After all updates I have more than 45 seconds to wait until second display starts.
Please someone with more experience in this forum advice me how to restart the thread and to be considered as an issue.
Thanks a lot.
Tony

Options

75 Posts

10-30-2019

United States of America

88 Signins

678 Page Views

• Message 177 of 234

2019-12-16, 17:54 PM

wrote:

You're right @spocko. Our problems persist but the thread is marked as solved.
I wondering if I open a new thread for the same issue what happen?
I presume it will be marked as duplicate or something else...
But, to reiterate my issue.
X1 extreme 2nd gen, TB3, 2k samsund external display.
After all updates I have more than 45 seconds to wait until second display starts.
Please someone with more experience in this forum advice me how to restart the thread and to be considered as an issue.
Thanks a lot.
Tony

This should definitely be a new thread.  The issue under discussion here is laggy video (such as scrolling and moving folders windows around in Windows Explorer) that occurs after transitioning from having the built-in display active to running only with one or more external displays, i.e. the built-in display disabled.  A long delay before a second display starts I guess could be considered "lag" in a very general sense, but it's not this issue.

On a side note, using "2K" to describe a display's resolution is dangerous because so many people incorrectly use it to refer to 2560x1440.  2K is technically a film resolution of 2048x1080, which later became the consumer resolution of 1920x1080, i.e. FHD/1080p.  Similarly, "4K" is technically a film resolution of 4096x2160, which later became 3840x2160 for consumers, i.e. UHD/2160p.  So technically "2K" used in a consumer context would refer to FHD, just as 4K in a consumer context refers to UHD.  The correct and unambiguous terms for 2560x1440 resolution are QHD and 1440p.  The former is only one extra letter to type compared to "2K", and it's worth the effort because 2K is used incorrectly so often that it creates confusion, and in many cases the resolution that the user is running or trying to run is key information for understanding the nature of the issue -- so making sure everyone is on the same page helps avoid going far down the wrong troubleshooting path.  Just a general note.

Options

11627 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33047 Signins

1235895 Page Views

• Views: 1235895
  • Message 178 of 234

2019-12-16, 17:58 PM

Hello

That won't be necessary. The thread was marked as solved by the opening poster because the issue had been solved but, unfortunately, at the same time broke the brightness control. If you skip to a short time before the off topic conversation you will find message 141 which links to the explanation. Yes there is a fix, just temporarily indisposed
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-extreme-screen-lag-on-quot-second-screen-only-quot/m-p/4593649#M108195

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

11 Posts

08-02-2019

Switzerland

17 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 179 of 234

2019-12-16, 20:03 PM

Hi @Andi_Lenovo

Do you know if such a fix also exists for P1 Gen1 (which is pretty similar and shares the same issue :( ). I'm using the script to disable and enable the intel graphics card all the time. But this is just not what I expect from a 3k computer...

BR Michael

Options

60 Posts

10-11-2018

United States of America

103 Signins

1071 Page Views

• Views: 1071
  • Message 180 of 234

2019-12-16, 20:13 PM

wrote:Do you know if such a fix also exists for P1 Gen1 (which is pretty similar and shares the same issue :( ).

I think the X1E and P1 Gen 1 and 2 all use the same Intel graphics driver, so once the issue has been resolved, then it should be available for both Gen 1 and 2.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms