Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
al2k
Paper Tape
Views: 788
Message 21 of 103

Re: X1 extreme screen lag on "second screen only"

Hi Horbi59,

Thanks so much for this and for taking the time to post it.

Kind regards,

Al2k

Vadrigar
Punch Card
Views: 767
Message 22 of 103

Thanks for posting, but this seems to be geared toward users of the Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock which I don't have.

I've installed the BIOS update and the Intel chipset drivers with the result that the dock isn't recognized anymore...

Vadrigar
Punch Card
Views: 757
Message 23 of 103

Great, so my dock isn't recognized anymore and I don't have a 1.23 BIOS backed up. Nothing else changed. In a sense the changelog is right, it surely doesn't show "your PC isn't charging" anymore, though.

I'am seriously impressed how buggy this whole Thunderbolt 3 mess is. I've read people saying it is a bit "flaky", but since I've never owned a TB3 device and my last contact with Lenovo docking solutions was that oldschool dock with the proprietary connector that worked great I didn't expect anything too bad. I mean, how hard can it be, connect one monitor and two USB devices? Boy, I had no idea... so, before that BIOS update I had this lag problem which is now solved since my dock isn't recognized anymore. I'll give Lenovo that.

At work I have to use a P52 for which I had to disable automatic screen shutdown because 1 out of 3 times the screen didn't turn on again and I have to reboot. Or the HDCP link, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. No pattern. But that is just a side note, the ways in which these TB3 docks don't work are a story in and of itself.

Anyway, this will be my last Lenovo machine (too bad I've already paid for it, right?) and next time I'll do my research on how bad these TB3 docking solutions really are.

czzii
What's DOS?
Views: 753
Message 24 of 103

Oh. this explain why after I updated the Bios, I have problem connect with my egpu ( AORUS GTX1070)

Vadrigar
Punch Card
Views: 745
Message 25 of 103

Edit: Sorry for the rant, turns out the problem was something else.

What helped for me:

Take a look into the device manager, under "system devices" there is a device "PCI Express Upstream Switch Port". This device was deactivated for me. When I activated it again the dock started working again, also with BIOS 1.24.

I don't know why it was deactived all of the sudden, but here I go. I'll see if the lag issue went away with the new BIOS and report back later.

TomBBB
Blue Screen Again
Views: 702
Message 26 of 103

Slow/lagging computer when using external monitor on my X1 Extreme

Whenever I connect external monitor or TV via HDMI the computer is slow/lagging (even moving windows or doing a right click is slow).

I tried to isolate the problem and it seems to happen only when I use "Second screen only" or when the laptop lid is closes, if the lid is open and I use "Extend" or "Duplicate" everything's fine. Also, if I do reset while the monitor is still connected, it's working ok (but this is not a good solution for me as I want to keep the work evniornment).

I tried playing with Display settings but nothing seems to help, maybe the community can please help me?

micamic9
What's DOS?
Views: 663
Message 27 of 103

Awesome. It works for me too.
micamic9
What's DOS?
Views: 663
Message 28 of 103

My issue is same as described. When it is on extended screen only, there is a lag on the screen.  I did the following and is now resolved.

Go to device manager/ display adapters/ intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 – disable and re-enable the device by clicking properties/ drivers tab.

MichaelR2D2
Punch Card
Views: 575
Message 29 of 103

I still have the issue despite running all updates from vantage. Or are these not available from vantage?

@other people confirming the fix. Are you sure it's really fixed? Because running the update requires you to reboot and rebooting also temporarily fixes the issue.
virtual-inanity
Paper Tape
Views: 554
Message 30 of 103

MichaelR2D2, 

For myself and others, the "fix" was to disable hybrid graphics in the BIOS. Yes, this did completely resolve the issue, although it's a shame that this is what needed to be done at all. As a brief explanation of the problem, this laptop has two graphics cards: An integrated Intel 630 gpu, and a more powerful discrete (separate) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 gpu. By default, the laptop uses a "hybrid" mode which uses both graphics cards in an attempt to conserve battery; it will use the lower powered Intel gpu during low graphics operations, then it will dynamically switch to using the more powerful NVIDIA gpu during graphics intensive workloads. 

I imagine the problem here is with this gpu handoff which seems to occur when the laptop is docked and/or a larger external monitor is connected. By switching the display settings in the BIOS from "hybrid" to "discreet", you are telling the system to always use the NVIDIA gpu, and it will no longer use the Intel gpu thus eliminating this gpu handoff operation completely. The caveat to this is that it will most likely decrease your battery life. I personally didn't notice much of a battery drain difference and the change was effective and permanent. 

That being said, this is still unacceptable on Lenovo's part and this should be resolved with an update. I hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors