cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theonlyandy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 143
Message 1 of 4

X1 freezing frequently, replace SDD or mainboard?

I'm pretty happy with the X1 carbon (1st gen) that I own, except for this annoying issue.

The laptop completely freezes frequently for tens of seconds up to a minute. While it's doing that, the hard drive LED is active. Freezing means that you cannot move your mouse. Sound sometimes continues.

I observed the issue first on Linux, but I installed Windows later, and the issue persisted. Of course I ran diagnostics, updated BIOS and SDD Firmware, but nothing helps.

Now I'm wondering: Since diagnostics doesn't reveal an issue, I need to replace hardware. But which one?

Would you rather replace the main board, or the SDD?

I understand the latter requires a special format, which is quite costly. So I'd like to take the right decision.

Thanks very much!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 101
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 freezing frequently, replace SDD or mainboard?

Hello theonlyandy!

When you observed the freezing issue on Linux, was the OS installed on the SSD? If yes, were you able to isolate if the computer still freezes outside Windows (i.e., While navigating in the BIOS or when booted from a Live USB like Ubuntu)?

If not yet, try removing the SSD & boot from a Linux Live USB and observe. You can also bypass removing the SSD & just unmount the drive in Linux and observe.

Guide:
Parts Removal and Replacement Videos

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505031

Let is know if this helps out.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

theonlyandy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 77
Message 3 of 4

Thanks very much, that's a great idea! Will do.

Also thanks for the guide, but it doesn't include the X1.
theonlyandy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 44
Message 4 of 4

I've been using the laptop w/o a disk for some hours, without any issues.

But I'm afraid now that I'm missing sufficient load, since I'm not watching Netflix or anything from the stick.

Would you have a tip how to run a stress test and automatically detect any freezes in between?

That might help a lot. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors