Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karoth06
Paper Tape
Views: 19,225
Message 1 of 7

X1 - water spill (not turning on)

So here's the situation. I have the original X1 with the spill proof keyboard. I spilled water on the right side, and so I tried to angle it to where the water would flow out the bottom. I turned the computer off as soon as I could and removed the ac power cord. My X1 is not powering on. Right now it is upside down draining the water, but it does still charge.

Question is, what should I do next? If it is dead, is there a way Lenovo will fix it for a reasonable price?
Highlighted
karoth06
Paper Tape
Views: 19,171
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 - water spill (not turning on)

Update: It's been three days and it still doesn't want to turn on. I removed the SSD to place in my old Edge 14 for now. I've taken apart the X1 and it doesn't seem to have water damage, unless I'm missing something. Maybe the power button is shot?
karoth06
Paper Tape
Views: 19,138
Message 3 of 7

Problem still consists with no solution.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 19,127
Message 4 of 7

Keyboards are water resistant, not waterproof and can keep a small spill from getting through. They work best if they are level, otherwise the liquid will go over the edges and get inside. It could be the power button. I have certainly seen them damaged so the machine won't start. If you have taken it apart, there is a simple test. With the machine unplugged and the battery disconnected, disconnect the CMOS battery. Have the keyboard disconnected also in case it is shorted. If you plug in the AC, the fan should spin about 1/2 second 2 or 3 times, the screen should light up and you should get the "set date and time message".  If that doesn't help, a reasonably priced repair from Lenovo is unlikely.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bobsyouruncle
Punch Card
Views: 18,417
Message 5 of 7

Water damage won't necessarily be visible - a dried film of salts or minerals can be enough to short electrical connections or components inside a laptop. The good news is that laptops, apart from the display, are quite resiliant to water damage. Almost certainly it will recover after the interior components are cleaned.

Gently flushing some denatured alcohol around the areas that got wet may be enough to resolve the issue. If you give that a go, ensure that you remove power and the battery first. Note that alcohol may cause cosmetic damage to exterior trim (plastic) pieces and let everything thoroughly dry before re-applying power to test.

It's unlikely that you sustained any permament damage so if you need to pass the Thinkpad to Lenovo for a more thorough cleaning, the charges are likely to be for labour only. Many shops have a flat rate to address water damage, you'd have to talk to Lenovo service for a more precise estimate.

alimarefat69
What's DOS?
Views: 18,004
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

I have experienced the same situation while my laptop was on using both battery and charger. While the hot water spilled on my keyboard, It turned off after 2 or 3 seconds. I have unplugged it rapidly and removed the battery. Tried to make it dry using hair drier. Todays ago it happened but still laptop wont turn on. even when I plug in the charger the LED doesnt light on. 

My question is the power got problem or motherboard? 

what can I do in such case?

Thank you

kkori
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,415
Message 7 of 7

Hello, I have a similar problem with a water spill on my X1 Carbon keyboard and near the fan on the bottom of the machine. It is not turning on, gives me a fan error. I love my computer and am not ready to give up. Your post gives me hope that it may recover. Please respond if you're available to help me over the phone. Thank you for your post.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors