Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsullivan440
What's DOS?
Views: 276
Message 1 of 2

X1 yoga ssd issue?

Hi all,

I have a Thinkpad X1 yoga purchased in September 2016. It has been great, until about two months ago. It started showing an internal hardware/SSD error when booting up. I reported this to Lenovo and since it is still under warranty, they sent me a new SSD and told me to replace the part. I have a few questions that I've sent to Lenovo but have been unable to get answered:

I'm assuming that my data, files and programs will be gone if I replace the SSD. I was able to back up my files...but will I have to repurchase windows 10 or can Lenovo send me that as well?

I was able to take the back off of the laptop but was unable to get the screw for the ssd off. Any tips?

I really would rather have someone with experience do this, so any information would be helpful. Additionally, I'm getting close to the 30 day mark where I need to send the old part back so that I'm not charged. Is it possible to get this extended while trying to figure this out?

Thank you!!

Guru
Views: 217
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1 yoga ssd issue?

Typically, the SSD Lenovo sends you should have Windows installed. If not, you won't have to reinstall it since the product key is software-embedded. 

Here's service training videos on how to repair your unit: http://lenovolearning.bhivesoft.com/bhive/t/1004/course_launch_frame.jsp?id=9293

Click on FRU videos, then M.2 SSD. After you remove the screw, you should be able to remove it by pulling it lightly. Maybe you have the wrong screwdriver (it uses a philips head screw)

As for extending the return period, I recommend contacting Lenovo support for that. 

Let me know if you have any questions or get stuck along the way Smiley Wink

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors