Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkpad-owner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,625
Message 1 of 5

X100e WWAN Gobi 2000 Fails if Enabled During Boot/Resume

The WWAN (Gobi 2000 card) in my X100e won't connect if the card stays enabled (FN-F5) during a system boot or resume from standby.  If I leave it disabled during a reboot or standby/resume and enable it afterwards, everything seems to work fine.

I'm using HSPA and I'm in an area with good signal.  The signal strength fades in/out every few seconds according to the Windows Broadband icon when it isn't working.  The signal stays solid and there are no issues if I boot the system with the card disabled initially.

I'm running the latest bios (1.23) and the ThinkVantage tools have updated all the software on Windows 7 Professional.  I've loaded the BIOS defaults a few times now and Lenovo wants the unit back to replace the Gobi 2000 card.

The X100e is a recent purchase from Lenovo Canada and it was ordered with the Gobi 2000 card.  Access Connections (AC) wants me to activate on Verizon (not available in Canada), but it does seem to work with a HSPA sim from a Canadian carrier... but AC always prompts to tell me that I'm roaming.  I'd like to get that fixed too.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  Any suggestions?  I think it's a s/w problem but I'll ship it back to Lenovo as per their tech support.

Thanks...

thinkpad-owner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,548
Message 2 of 5

Re: X100e WWAN Gobi 2000 Fails if Enabled During Boot/Resume

The X100e is now headed back to Lenovo for EasyServ warranty repair.

An identical unit we bought does not exhibit this behavior at all so I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware problem.  The Lenovo phone tech's recommendation to send it in to get the Gobi 2000 card replaced appears to be correct.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,541
Message 3 of 5

I'm not experiencing your problem.

The different behavior is probably due to the different combination of provider and 3g board's fw.

Unlike almost any other 3g card, the gobi 2000 loads it's firmware from windows, and loads  different fw images for different providers.

So is very difficult to help staying in another country and/or using a different carrier, even with the very same configuration at HW and OS level.

thinkpad-owner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,522
Message 4 of 5

Interesting.  Based on your email, I found this link that talked about the firmware load process:

http://blogs.6bit.com/josh/2009/05/qualcomm-gobi-wwan-card-on-windows-7/

I didn't remember seeing any of the Canadian carriers in Access Connections when I was setting up the WWAN profile so I used "Other".  I wonder if there were issues with the firmware being used because of that?  Regardless, we have two different X100e Thinkpads configured the same way  and one had problems when the other one didn't.

I'm hoping the unit sent to Lenovo comes back fixed.

Thanks...

thinkpad-owner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,317
Message 5 of 5

The problem has been resolved.

Lenovo replaced the WWAN card, but the X100e was still exhibiting the same behavior.  I re-imaged the machine and the problem went away.

I can't be sure it was just a s/w problem or a s/w and h/w problem, but I'm just glad it's working now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors