Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Guru
Views: 1,548
Message 41 of 80

Re: X120e: Buy now or wait?

@afcross wrote:

I've talked in the Edge sub-forum about the non-glossy ("Anti Glare") screens that appear to be specified on some of the Edge 11 machines, specifically, as I understand it, the NVY5EUK and NVY5FUK. If you guys are telling me there are no Edge 11s with matt screens, then they are straight off my list and it's back to an x100e, or wait indefinitely for the x120e. Do you know more than I do about Edge screens? Sorry to ask the question here, but it is very relevant to the choice between the two families here in the UK.

AFAIK the EDGE's screen are all glossy, is the external finish that is availble in glossy black, matte black and glossy red.

BTW Here in Italy only a single model is currently availble with the AMD CPU: Glossy RED, 1.4 GHz dual core, 320 GB hdd Win 7 Home premium.    <-----Edit: wrong info (see later messges)

The matte finish is intel only.

BTW this may change in different countries. but I never heard about matte LCD.

afcross
Serial Port
Views: 1,516
Message 42 of 80

Well, I could quote Anti-Glare Edge 11 screens from the UK web site, but here is the Anti Glare option for Italy as quoted on the Italian site:

Generale
Nome modello  NVZ3PIX
Descrizione   ThinkPad Edge 11 inches
Prezzo Web   € 550,80*

Caratteristiche principali
Processore  AMD Athlon II Neo Dual-Core K345 Processor ( 1.40GHz 1000MHz )
Sistema Operativo  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Autentico
Memoria Totale  2 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Display type  11.6" HD AntiGlare 1366x768
Disco Rigido  320GB
Batteria  6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network Card  ThinkPad 11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless
Garanzia  Un anno parti e assistenza (batteria di sistema: un anno)
Lettore di Impronte Digitali  None

OR ...

Generale
Nome modello  NVY5GIX
Descrizione   ThinkPad Edge 11 inches
Prezzo Web   € 622,80*

Caratteristiche principali
Processore  Intel Core i3-380UM Processor ( 1.33GHz 800MHz )
Sistema Operativo  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Autentico
Memoria Totale  2 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Display type  11.6" HD AntiGlare 1366x768
Disco Rigido  320GB
Batteria  6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network Card  ThinkPad 11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless
Garanzia  Un anno parti e assistenza (batteria di sistema: un anno)
Lettore di Impronte Digitali  None

If these are (misleadingly) glossy screens then I guess the same applies to the UK offerings. Can someone from Lenovo please elucidate? Again, sorry if this appears to be in the wrong Forum, but we are trying to compare x100/120e with Edge 11 in order to make an informed purchase. Perhaps we need a separate forum for comparing across ranges!

Retired Guru
Views: 1,498
Message 43 of 80

Ok, seem that I was wrong and you are right.

I double checked on the Lenovo site (since the etailers are usually prone to the errors) and seem that the situation has changed since the last time I checked.

I was also misleaded by a bunch of online rewiews where only machines with glossy screens were reviewed.

So, altough I havent find a single Italian that has bought this model, and a single real photo of the exact machine you've linked, I'm reasonably sure that the situation (at least in Italy) actulally is:

Black Glossy case, glossy screen, intel machine

Matte Black case, antiglare screen, intel machine

Red glossy case, antiglare screen, amd (dual core, 1.4 Ghz) CPU.

So, basically, the actual AMD machine is a better X100e, with a powerfully processor, and a slightly better GPU, an improved battery life and (if I'm not wrong)  the hdmi port as bonus.

Given that I'll probably buy one of these machines.

Thank you very much  for the corrected infos.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,488
Message 44 of 80

I also checked about the UK market, you have like us just a single machine available but is a differnt one.

It has a single core running @1.8Ghz, a smaller HDD (250GB) and has a glossy black finish.

But comes with BT, is wwan ready (you can install a lenovo branded wwan board in 5 minutes) , and has also the antiglare screen.

All in all, seem that crossing the channel is a dangerous task for a dual core cpu Smiley Happy

d_a_v_e
What's DOS?
Views: 1,442
Message 45 of 80

hmmm  ... the x100e seems to have disappeared from the uk website. interesting 

it's sooo annoying there is no x120e in the uk ... was looking forward to getting my hands on another thinkpad.

but now ... aaargh ... what to do.  the edge really doesnt cut it.

afcross
Serial Port
Views: 1,405
Message 46 of 80

The x100e has also disappeared from the Italian, Spanish and German sites, but is still on the French site. So could this possibly just suggest a UK/Europe launch date for the x120e? Or an attempt to steer us all in this part of the world towards "The Edge" (!), and stop us even thinking about x100/120e options? Please, Lenovo, tell us where you are going with this!

Retired Guru
Views: 1,397
Message 47 of 80

I'm afraid that we aren't going to see the x120 in Europe, at least in the near future.

Fusion chips are in shortage and at the same time, probably, they have a lot of unsold Athlon IIs. So (likely) the Lenovo decision is a forced one. They divided the world in two and we are just in the unluckiest side.

dlano
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,366
Message 48 of 80

Clicking on some links for the edge seems to bring up errors for me, other links seem fine.

My guess is the site is being updated for the refreshed Sandy Bridge versions of the T, L and W lines
Retired Guru
Views: 1,229
Message 49 of 80

Just to update the saga

The vaio yb appeared on the first italian etailer, it's availabe now.

For the uk friends the edge 11 dual core NVZ3QUK  (k325) is aviailabe in UK (amazon and others).

dlano
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,192
Message 50 of 80

The Vaio hasn't appeared yet on UK sites, but this US site does do international shipping:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sony+vaio+yb&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Unfortunately the model I'd have is out of stock, but there's a chance other Fusion laptops might appear soon, even the thinkpad maybe.

All you'd need then is the correct power adapter, though you'd be stuck with the US keyboard layout (Doesn't bother me, my last laptop was US layout). Could be useful for us Brits.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors