Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulX121e
What's DOS?
Views: 1,442
Message 1 of 5

X121e - Product Recovery using USB Recovery Media

Hello, this is my first time using a community forum, so apologies for not knowing the protocols.

I have a Lenovo X121e ThinkPad, which is unfortunately 5 days out of warranty. It is pre-installed with Windows 7, but there is a problem starting Windows, so the only option available is the Startup Repair, which searches for (and attempts to repair) problems. Unfortunately, the repair is unsuccessful but the root cause is found:

Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt.

This only leaves the option to perform a product recovery. When I choose this option, the files are not found, probably because I no longer have the "Q Drive" partition - some months ago I followed the instructions to create a (USB) recovery media and release the space on the hard disk. I therefore have a USB stick called 'cbd_drive' which contains the following in the root directory:

Boot [folder]

factoryrecovery [folder]

usb.tag

winRE.wim

I assumed that I could boot from this USB drive to run the Lenovo Product Recovery so I changed the boot sequence to use USB HDD but I receive an "Error loading operating system" message.

Now I'm at a loss as to what I should do next, so appreciate any advice from the community. Thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,418
Message 2 of 5

Re: X121e - Product Recovery using USB Recovery Media

Hello and welcome,

Did you use this procedure to prepare your flash drive?

New or used USB memory keys or USB flash drives require an active partition created from within Wind...

If not you may be able to fix things by setting the  partition active.  Don't clean, create, or format, just select and set active.

If the stick is formatted incorrectly (FAT32 instead of NTFS) you can try this:  prepare a 2nd flash drive per the above instructions and copy the contents of the first drive to it.

I can't say for sure that flash prep is the problem but may be worth a try.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

PaulX121e
What's DOS?
Views: 1,416
Message 3 of 5

Hi Z,

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of that... although I have been learning a lot about active/primary partitions over the past few hours as I try solutions! Smiley Happy

I originally created the recovery media using the official Lenovo application that launches automatically when you work with the 'Q' drive. I just looked at my USB flash drive using Windows Disk Management on another computer, and there is only a single partition, listed as healthy, active, primary partition... so nothing to activate sadly.

But appreciate the suggestion. Thanks for your help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,408
Message 4 of 5

Is the format FAT32 or NTFS?

Sorry this wasn't the fix.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

PaulX121e
What's DOS?
Views: 1,388
Message 5 of 5

No need to apologise, I appreciate your help and on reflection, reading the link you sent, I think you may be right... when creating the recovery media originally, there was no mention of the warning that you shared.

I think the problem is that my USB media is not recognised as bootable.

However, I thought you might like to know... I downloaded one of the free/trial ISO files for Windows 7 offered by Microsoft and created a new bootable USB drive. I used this to install Windows, using the product key from Lenovo and then I installed Lenovo system update to get all the drivers. Everything is working now.

Thanks again for your idea.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors