Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davor
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,680
Message 1 of 6

X121e with F5521gw GPS: Garmin Mobile PC not working

In device manager I see the F5521gw drivers are installed for device “F5521gw Mobile Broadband GPS Port”.

In windows 7 under “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Location and Other Sensors” I see the sensor F5521gw is enabled. Under “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Location and Other Sensors\User Settings” everyone is selected as able to access the sensor.

In BIOS every I/0 peripheral is set to “Enabled”.

I have not installed any Lenovo software for the GPS as I don’t see why I would need it. It is enough that the driver is working.

PROBLEM: Garmin Mobile PC reports the e36wgps0 on COMP4 as working but cannot find any satellites. I tried his outdoor, without any success.

QUESTION: what am I missing? What can I do to make Garmin detect satellites?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,670
Message 2 of 6

Re: X121e with F5521gw GPS: Garmin Mobile PC not working

You say you don't want to use Lenovo GPS Enabler application. But how do you turn on/off GPS receiver in modem? This is one of the function of that s/w prior of getting fix data..

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

davor
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,663
Message 3 of 6

Ah, so GPS has to be enabled every time before use? And this "enabling" must be done with Lenovo software?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,646
Message 4 of 6

1. Yes, if your GPS application can't do that itself..
2. Yes. There is another way to switch GPS receiver on besides Lenovo s/w. Nevertheless Lenovo GPS enabler is very good and reliable application.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

davor
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,629
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your help. It works now.

But still, that’s quite some clicks to get it started. One has to enable WWAN with FN+F5 key (2-3 clicks), then one has to start the Lenovo GPS application, enable the GPS, minimize it, and the one can run Garmin GPS application, and start using it. When done, one has to shut down everything again. That’s quite awkward if you ask me…

I wish all this could be done with a single command/shortcut. For example, through a batch file. The batch should enable GPS, then start and wait for Garmin to exit, and shut down the device.

Enabling the GPS should be possible through the terminal. I couldn’t find any info about F5521gw, but I did find info about F3507g (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericsson_F3507g_Mobile_Broadband_Module), and the commands for enabling the GPS appear to be the same.

How about enabling the WWAN from command line? Any idea’s?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,608
Message 6 of 6

I agree, it's not usefull. I can't say anything about Ericsson modems control as I'm using Gobi. But if you'll find AT commands set for f5521gw and have some skills for Windows script host programming I'll try to give you examples of scripts for that task.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors