Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

06-13-2011

United States

19 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 1 of 4

X13 AMD USB dropout, restart required to fix

2021-04-08, 0:08 AM

I have a X13 AMD Gen 1 (20UF) and have been experiencing random USB dropouts where an external keyboard stops working and a headset microphone transmits loud static (if on a call).  Switching to another USB A port does work, but the original port will no longer function and a restart is required to re-enable the port.  The issue has been occurring more frequently, and mostly (but not always) when in a video call which would both be using the GPU (video en/decoding) and CPU (audio  en/decoding).

Initially, I thought the dropouts may be caused by a USB-C dock, but connecting the devices through a 4-port hub made no difference.  I haven't tried directly connecting the devices since there aren't enough USB ports (keyboard, mouse, webcam, headset, and a security key).

Some searches show that similar USB/Zen2 issues occur with desktop boards and processors, which AMD has acknowledged and provided a potential fix (updated AGESA):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/m2wqkf/updated_agesa_coming_for_intermittent_usb

Would an updated BIOS + AGESA fix this issue?  My X13 is currently on the latest 1.30, released in Jan 2021.

Thanks, and please let me know if any additional information or details would help.

Options

1570 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

103 Signins

7885 Page Views

• Views: 7885
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:X13 AMD USB dropout, restart required to fix

2021-04-08, 13:57 PM

Hello anomalyconcept,

Greetings

If the BIOS is up to date, I suggest that you update the drivers thru the support site.
Also under BIOS, kindly load the default settings then save before exiting
Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

15 Posts

06-13-2011

United States

19 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-04-08, 15:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!  As it turns out, I'm running Linux (Fedora 33/kernel 5.11.11 to be exact)- I can see if the issue occurs under Windows, but I haven't found a reliable way to reproduce the issue, just that it reoccurs.

I just found the Linux sub-forum; feel free to move this topic if you think it is better suited there.

---

In the meantime, I'm moving the webcam to the other USB A port since it's the only USB 2.0-speed device to see if that will help avoid/identify the problem.  Thanks!

Options

1570 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

103 Signins

7885 Page Views

• Views: 7885
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-23, 20:08 PM

Thanks for the update

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms