cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TAllan
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 3

X1C 5th Gen external bitlocker encrypted hard drive not detected after reformat of windows 10

Hi folks,

Need some help here.  I reformatted (complete reformat with no personal preferences saved) of Windows 10 because of several glitches that were annoying.  I was smart to backup all my documents to an external hard drive that was encrypted with BitLocker.  But once the reformat was complete, the drive is no longer detected.  I can see the drive in Disk Management but it won't pop up in explorer and BitLocker does not prompt me when I plug in.  Help!  My two drives have all my backups and backups of backups!!!

I've tried to update all the software/firmware/drivers but to no avail.

I'm still under warranty but this is a software issue only I'm certain of it.  

Help!

lenanto
SCSI Port
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1C 5th Gen external bitlocker encrypted hard drive not detected after reformat of windows 10

Hi there, I once had a similar issue with detection and decryption of an external BitLocker drive.

After lack of success and not wanting to spend too much time on it, I instead tried to connect the drive to another computer -- and that worked like a charm, just had to enter the password. So I used a friend's computer to transfer over the files, then reformatted the external drive, and then transfer the files back.

On the reformatting, if you encrypt the drive on your friend's machine, make sure you don't select back up of the Recovery Key to a Microsoft account, as that will go to your friend's account. Or if you trust that person, then you can them send you the key from their account at https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey

Good luck!

TAllan
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1C 5th Gen external bitlocker encrypted hard drive not detected after reformat of windows 10

Thanks for the response... But pardon the language of **bleep**??? The solution is to get another computer? Serious ball dropping if that is the case.

Hopefully someone has come up with a solution.

Top Kudoed Authors