Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
machina3x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 796
Message 1 of 4

X1C Gen 4 first run 0xc0000001 error

Hello

We've just received a new X1C Gen 4.  Type 20FB-005WUS.  It comes with Win 7, with rights to upgrade to Win 10 via Lenovo USB recovery media (downloading now).

On the very first run of the X1, it restarted a couple of times, with some bios messages flashing by that I couldn't catch.  Then it stopped on the Win boot manager (pic attached) with error code 0xc0000001 pointing towards volmgrx.sys.  Susbsequent attempts also stop at this screen.  Bios has default settings.

The retailer supposedly offers returns on faulty items within 7 days (but we are some distance away in a rural area), or I could start a Lenovo warranty process.

However I'm not convinced this is a hardware fault with the SSD, and suspect there's a chance it could be bios setting related or Win 7 image / setup issue. Conversely, I wouldn't want to install Win 10 from the recovery media on a faulty SSD and have it fault again while in action.

As we need to use the X1 as soon as possible, I need to find the path of least resistance.

I'd appreciate any opinions from those more experienced than myself.

regards

Simon

p.s. I also cannot find any way to boot into a Lenovo recovery partition on the drive.  No F11 or similar options anywhere

WP_20170203_19_16_49_Pro (1024x576).jpg

machina3x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 732
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1C Gen 4 first run 0xc0000001 error

FWIW here's my follow up.

My suspicion is that the Win 7 image on the SSD wasn't setup right for the hardware or bios config.  I created the recovery media from the download, and installed Win 10.  From that point everything has been fine boot and OS install wise (though it went through a very convoluted set of powershell scripts initially).  Also the F11 option has become available in bios interrupted startup.

I have a 2nd real annoyance though.  A flimsy piece of paper in the box with convoluted language gives a web address to download the user manual.  On going to that address you get an error page.  It's really not good enough, the manual or the whole pre 1st run boot issue above.  These machines are not cheap, and they are also marketed to consumers, not just the business crowd.

meh.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 720
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Here is your User Manual.

Here is your Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Here is your Driver Page.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
machina3x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 687
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the links Dave.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors