cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leestrange
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,566
Message 1 of 33

X1C latency with 2nd monitor. Cannot use.

Big problems using the Carbon X1 with monitor and Port Replicator.  I connect my laptop to an external monitor at work using the USB 3.0 slot as specified.  However, I often experience very long delays in trying to navigate web pages.  It is very frustrating and unacceptable.  When you leave the X1 screen on (duplicate mod), you can see the screens scroll on the laptop while waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the same view on your monitor. Sometimes it NEVER comes although you can hit refresh to get one scroll.  

This is very time consuming and bad for any kind of productivity.  As I said, unacceptable.  I have tried connecting the monitor separately using the dongle.  It works but now I cannot use the Port Replicator as it shows blank screen. 

I have for 10 years been able to use a second monitor with all my laptops but now ....... nada.  That means I cannot keep this laptop.

I am not sure you would have the same problem with the Docking Station but be warned.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

ceb
WWAN
Views: 2,570
Message 2 of 33

Re: X! latency with 2nd monitor. Cannot use.

If it works fine using the dongle then maybe it isn't the laptop. What port replicator are you using?

Highlighted
leestrange
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,569
Message 3 of 33

Using new IBM Port Replicator bought with X!.

When I say it works with dongle, it makes sense since that is the ONLY signal moving from dongle to monitor.  Using USB 3.0 to dongle moves much more than monitor signal (other USB, Ethernet, etc.)

But to prove, you have given me an idea.  I will connect my x300 on Monday through relicator.

leestrange
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,568
Message 4 of 33

Actually, using the x300 as a test will not work as the USB 2.0  ports cannot handle input of ethernet while sending out monitor and other USB signals.

So bottom line, the X1 and Port Replicator just do not work - for certain when all ports are connected.

ceb
WWAN
Views: 2,563
Message 5 of 33

@leestrange wrote:

Actually, using the x300 as a test will not work as the USB 2.0  ports cannot handle input of ethernet while sending out monitor and other USB signals.

So bottom line, the X1 and Port Replicator just do not work - for certain when all ports are connected.

So because you cannot test the replicator with an x300 means that the x1c is broken? I'm not sure that I follow your logic.

leestrange
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,562
Message 6 of 33

Ok - I'll bite.   Do you agree either the X! or the Replicator is defective?  

Actually, I do not think either are defective - I think the design of the X1 that requires everything to go through ONE USB 3.0 port is a defective design rendering a normal second monitor and ethernet use of the X1 useless.

Does this make sense to you?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,550
Message 7 of 33

Check your CPU load when you use the dock. 100%?

Also what monitor are you using? And do you have a huge data load going through the ethernet port?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
leestrange
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,516
Message 8 of 33

CPU is at 4-10%.

I am using a normal ethernet download - have not measured.  I do have a continuous streaming stock portfolio (which is why I need alternate monitor) but I tried even when logged out.

I keep about 10 tabs in Chrome opened.  When I have 'duplicate' mode (see identical monitor and X1 screens) the X1 responds immediately when moving between tabs or scrolling but the monitor view sometimes hesitates as much as 10 seconds (or even just does not move at all).  I have to look over at the X1 to see the scroll.  

This does not happen ALL the time but happens frequently (multiple times per hour).

My conclustion is that USB 3.0 on X1 does not have the capacity to handle ethernet, monitor, and mouse USB simultaneously through the port replicator.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,516
Message 9 of 33

there is a firmware update for the USB 3.0 dock that is out, maybe try the update and see whether that fixes the issue.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,490
Message 10 of 33

My recommendation would be to dump the USB dock and move to native connections.  I would use the mini DisplayPort connector for the external LCD panel,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors