cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pchc_lx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 617
Message 11 of 27

Re: X1C6 BIOS 1.34 update halved my battery time (and I think it's related to the CPU microcode)

My remaining battery time jumped way up after applying this fix!

However I'm getting the following errors in my report, even after restoring default power plan settings

CPU Utilization: Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 12.31

Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th 20KHCTO1WW w/ Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U
LenovoHD
What's DOS?
Views: 575
Message 12 of 27

Re: X1C6 BIOS 1.34 update halved my battery time (and I think it's related to the CPU microcode)

@someotherguy - the global usb selective suspend was the issue. Now back to 13+ hrs of battery left. For some reason there are a few devices that still are not entering selective device.

Nevertheless, thanks again - you're a god amongst men!
jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 553
Message 13 of 27

@LenovoHD wrote:
@someotherguy - the global usb selective suspend was the issue. Now back to 13+ hrs of battery left. For some reason there are a few devices that still are not entering selective device.

Nevertheless, thanks again - you're a god amongst men!

What!? 13+ hours? I've been lucky to get 7 hours. I have the WQHD "HDR" display, but the difference cannot be that great, can it?

vvshorikov
Punch Card
Views: 500
Message 14 of 27

Apparently, it can. On the other hand, maybe you opted for the UHD HDR display for a reason and are using some pretty heavy software like Photoshop or Blender?

Mine is spending less than 10% an hour, so I've marked the thread as solved.

And to think I blamed everything on the BIOS update! )))

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 452
Message 15 of 27

@vvshorikov wrote:

Apparently, it can. On the other hand, maybe you opted for the UHD HDR display for a reason and are using some pretty heavy software like Photoshop or Blender?

Mine is spending less than 10% an hour, so I've marked the thread as solved.

And to think I blamed everything on the BIOS update! )))

Mostly Premier, but on off days, its still topping out around 7 hours, usually less.

Amusingly, I've found the gamut/accuracy of my laptop monitor doesn't matter, since I reference against a desktop monitor, anyways.

Oh, well. Facts known in posterity, I guess Smiley Very Happy Glad to see better battery life is possible!

Highlighted
vvshorikov
Punch Card
Views: 451
Message 16 of 27

Yep! Another couple of Intel CPU generations, some battery technology improvement, and maybe Firefox or Chrome devs actually doing something about their behemoths' energy consumption - and soon, perhaps in 3 to 5 years, we may see a laptop that lasts from dawn till dusk.

Or not. Smiley LOL

jkcshea
What's DOS?
Views: 280
Message 17 of 27

Is there a fix for Linux users?

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04. The laptop-mode-tools configuration file

/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/runtime-pm.conf 

is showing that I have the autosuspend mode enabled:

CONTROL_RUNTIME_AUTOSUSPEND=1,

But still, my battery life seems much shorter than before.

Any insight is much appreciated!

pantera
Serial Port
Views: 252
Message 18 of 27

I have exactly the same message as this. What should I do?

CPU UtilizationSmiley Tonguerocessor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)8.63
Platform Power Management CapabilitiesSmiley TongueCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 222
Message 19 of 27

@pantera wrote:

I have exactly the same message as this. What should I do?

CPU UtilizationSmiley Tonguerocessor utilization is high
Average Utilization (%) 8.63
Platform Power Management CapabilitiesSmiley TongueCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

The first message about CPU utilization means that you have some background tasks running.  This is not unusual, and you can look down lower in the report to find out which task(s) are consuming CPU resources, and close them before running the energy report again.

The second message refers to a bug in Intel's Thunderbolt implementation.  To avoid this bug, ThinkPad BIOS disables the APSM at OS level and handles it at BIOS level instead.  It makes this message appear in the energy report, but my understanding is that there is no actual impact to energy consumption.

Da-vid
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 20 of 27

@someotherguy, thank you for the quick fix. It restored my original battery life.

Just wanted to let you all know that Lenovo has released a critical update for this through Lenovo Vantage.

ApplicationFrameHost_4sZsmA4yUx.png

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors