cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DGombaultRecia
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 838
Message 1 of 4

X1C6 charging problem: charging LED stuck "on" even unplugged & reports repeatedly unplugged/plugged

Hi.
I have recently a charging problem with my X1C6.

Yesterday, I have plugged the USB-C charger into the USB-C port.

Then Windows repeatedly notices that the charger was plugged, then unplugged, then plugged (many events in Windows Event Viewer) and the Thunderbolt software (in systray keeps crashing/restarting).

The problem continued even with the charger unplugged, even after a reboot.

The charging orange LED was stuck "on" even with the charger unplugged (also with the computer off):

Charge débranché 1.jpgCharging orange LED unplugged.

I had to restart the computer and disable the internal battery in the BIOS to restore the computer to a normal state.

In the Windows reliability monitor, I can see many Windows Hardware Error (related to USB-C UCM/USCI system : LKD_0x1D4_COMMAND_TIMEOUT_9_UcmUcsiAcpiClient_UcmUcsiCx!UcmUcsiCx::CxDevice::UnrecoverableFailureEncountered) and many Thunderbolt software and services crashes.

The battery was already replaced due to another problem (random 0% charge level reporting).
This charging problem had happened with the old one and the new one.

Anybody had already encountered this problem ?
Do you think it's a rather a USCI/EC/BIOS firmware problem or a faulty hardware ?

I think I will ask a motherboard replacement under warranty.

DGombaultRecia
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 816
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1C6 charging problem: charging LED stuck "on" even unplugged & reports repeatedly

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 669
Message 3 of 4

Re: X1C6 charging problem: charging LED stuck "on" even unplugged & reports repeatedly

Easy way to fix this is hard resetting the machine. You can do this in BIOS. In power, there should be the option "Disable built-in battery" (see https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd025206). It should hard reset the machine and it should start working correctly.
Highlighted
DGombaultRecia
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 653
Message 4 of 4

Hi.
Thanks for your help.
Disabling the built-in battery hard resets the machine and fix the problem.

Another quick fix is to press the hard reset button (hole at the bottom case).

This problem is also reported by other X1 Carbon 6th Gen or X1 Yoga 3rd gen users : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Help-X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-thinks-it-s-plugged-in...

I think there is a bug in the BIOS or EC.

Lenovo has a recently released a new BIOS for Carbon (1.37) and Yoga (1.30):

- (Fix) Fixed an issue where incorrect wattage is displayed when attach an AC adaptor.

The problem haven't  happenned since I have updated, but I don't know if it can fix this problem (I rarely use my Thikpad on battery and charge it).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors