cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicok
Punch Card
Views: 151
Message 1 of 3

X1Carbon6th, Pulling Thunderbolt cable broke Thunderbolt CHIP, BIOS is freezing, HDMI not working.

I already typed something here, since I thought it is related:

[Admin note: cross post link removed]

Pulling Thunderbolt cables was fine. After a while:

Pulling Thunderbolt cables gave me 1 in 3 cases a bluescreen (internal power error). 

I did a BIOS / Thunderbolt / Driver update on 21th of May 2019. Everything was fine, restart worked.

Went to work, this time, turned into standbye before pulling the cable. Everything was fine. At home, I opened the Screen after getting out of Sleep (old Linux Standby), saw the welcome for a short moment, and than bluescreen again. 

Reboot, ... freezes in BIOS. Directly at the "Lenovo" Splash screen, before having the chance to put on the finger on the fingerprint reader.

Super laggy. Tried EVERYTHING mentioned in this forum, enabled/disabled all settings in BIOS, had to reset with the button in the bottom with a paper clip, tried to deactivate internal battery. By a chance of 1 in 4 I could get into the BIOS or select a boot media. 

Lenovo hardware test says, that everything is fine. Have been many times, close to a brick, since it hangs directly after pressing the power button. By chance could boot, made a backup. HDMI is also not working. Does not recognize any thunderbolt devices. Flashed old BIOS version, no difference. 

What makes a difference: completely disabeling thunderbolt in bios. Than BIOS/booting works like a charm, but still no Thunderbolt (ok, this is expected) and no HDMI. Charging works.

Anybody an idea, exepct sending it in? Anybody knows, how long a Mainboard exchange is (Germany)?

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 145
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1Carbon6th, Pulling Thunderbolt cable broke Thunderbolt CHIP, BIOS is freezing, HDMI not workin

For me it sounds like the Thunderbolt Chip or Firmware is broken. Similar to the more popular bricking of Yogas, P51, before. I maybe could flash it manually like discribed here, but I guess, this is against warranty regulations:

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 62
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1Carbon6th, Pulling Thunderbolt cable broke Thunderbolt CHIP, BIOS is freezing, HDMI not workin

Lenovo send me a new mainboard.

Very competent local service called me today, made an apointment, was on time sharp, exchanged and installed mainboard within 30 min. Told me funny stories during replacement. ^^

Rating for support in east germany (Dresden): excellent!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors