Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cookiefamily
Blue Screen Again
Views: 191
Message 1 of 2

X1E Static crackling noise persistent after mainboard change

Hello,

I recently recieved my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme. When I first booted it up, I noticed it making static noises, kinda crackling. Sounds similar to an old HDD when the head is searching, just a bit more static-y. Very noticable in quiet environments when the fan is not spinning and only happening when launching windows/applications. Also there was slight coil whine when scrolling (Maybe when the framerate increases), but it is not very noticable and not really annoying. 

What did worry me though, was the crackling noise, so I sent it back to my retailer who then sent it to Lenovo where the Mainboard got replaced. Finally after about two weeks I got it back, booted it up and... yup we have the exact same static noise. Could it be related to the SSD because it is happening during the launch of wndows and applications? Or is this something else? Just to be clear, I am not talking about the high pitched coil whine as that is to be expected with most laptops and desktops and it is not very noticable, I'm talking about the crackling.

Also, is this an issue with every X1E and "normal"?

Cookiefamily
Blue Screen Again
Views: 159
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1E Static crackling noise persistent after mainboard change

I experimented a bit more, it does not seem to be an issue with the SSD, when playing back movie files from a SD Card, the noise is very audible as well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors