cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 511
Message 1 of 4

X1E - Thunderbolt Firmware Update. Lenovo pop-up to have at least one Thunderbolt device?

I just got my X1 Extreme yesterday. 

I updated the BIOS to 1.15 and also updated other drivers. The one pending thing is the Thunderbolt firmware update utility. The first pop-up says "do not connect any Thunderbolt device", but then a second pop-up right before the firmware update says "connect at least one Thunderbolt device.

I cancelled the update for now due to the conflicting pop-up messages. Note - I do not have any Thunderbolt devices connected to my X1E laptop.

Can I upgrade Thunderbolt firmware safely with no Thunderbolt devices connected, or?

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 454
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1E - Thunderbolt Firmware Update. Lenovo pop-up to have at least one Thunderbolt device?

No replies yet, Smiley Happy, but I am assuming a number of people here have successfully run this update on their X1 Extreme, even without having any Thunderbolt devices connected?

Can anyone kindly confirm? Given BIOS bricking issues (one of which is for Thunderbolt Assist, even though that should be different / unrelated from just updating the Thunderbolt firmware itself), I prefer to ask owners here to get real world experiences; not something I can ask support about.

It shows up in Lenovo Advantage under 'Critical' updates tab, as something like:

'Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility' X1E

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 442
Message 3 of 4

Re: X1E - Thunderbolt Firmware Update. Lenovo pop-up to have at least one Thunderbolt device?

AFAIK, the update will run with or without a TB3 device connected to the port, however, the pre-update firmware check may fail without a device plugged in. For some reason, the TB3 controller "disappears" from the system if there is no TB3 device plugged into the port. Even the Intel TB3 software is unable to determine version information without something plugged in.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 436
Message 4 of 4

@jeremyshaw wrote:

AFAIK, the update will run with or without a TB3 device connected to the port, however, the pre-update firmware check may fail without a device plugged in. For some reason, the TB3 controller "disappears" from the system if there is no TB3 device plugged into the port. Even the Intel TB3 software is unable to determine version information without something plugged in.

Thanks a lot for the explanation! That clarifies why they state to have a TB3 device connected for the Thunderbolt firmware update.

I may try it later today, or simply hold off till I get a Thunderbolt device.

EDITED post to update:

I just successfully ran the TB firmware utility update without any TB device connected.

Hope this helps others on the fence about performing this particular update.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors