cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 682
Message 11 of 40

Re: Oh well, this is really usefull ;-). I tried it again and...

Repaste definitely can help with the thermals (and so can undervolting), but unfortunately there's no way to get this machine to run under 80 C so the thermal throttling wouldn't affect performance at all.

I tried the dGPU trick and as happy as I am to report it didn't brick my laptop this time (previously tried on 1.15 and had quite a different experience), it unfortunately didn't affect my Cinebench scores at all. I'm getting around 1200 without the virtualization and the best with virtualization on has been ~980. So a far cry from what it should be Smiley Sad

Lenovo's response in my case was to ask me to install Lenovo Vantage and turn off intelligent cooling. As anyone could imagine, it didn't help at all.

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 554
Message 12 of 40

I've managed to figure out it's actually Hyper-V and not the Intel Virtualization technology. Having virtualization enabled in BIOS just happens to be a prerequisite for running Hyper-V, so if that's disabled, the problem disappears, because Hyper-V won't work anymore. Once you turn virtualization on, Hyper-V starts working again and the throttling issue also returns.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 529
Message 13 of 40

I've found that a repaste helps for a while, but tends to degrade over time. I used some of the top rated thermal paste in my Yoga 720 and did lots of tests. Temps were much better immediately after the repaste, but a couple months later, the benefits had mostly disappeared. If I want to play a demanding game, I underclock the CPU to 2.2GHz. I have tried under-volting but it did not help, even when pushing it pretty hard like -0.125v. When I had fresh repaste, I didn't have to underclock, though I did have to disable turboboost.

Basically, these 4lb 0.75" thick laptops can not sufficiently cool off a 45W CPU and 50W+ GPU. I wish they could use better heat pipes (vapor anyone) and fans that can push a lot more air (noisily, if need be).

We're ordering a handful of Thinkpad X1 Extremes soon. We're going to be getting the lower-end i7-8750H because running 6 cores at 2.2GHz probably still generates too much heat and it will throttle down, so why even bother with 2.6GHz or the P1 with Xeon @ 2.7GHz (besides more cache)? We're even contemplating the i5, but the i7 model is only $165 more and comes with double the RAM and storage.

freakwave10
Fanfold Paper
Views: 511
Message 14 of 40

@Token Ring

I know you mean well with your suggestion, but before posting please consider that you are not offering any solution to the root problem here. In my case I am sure Lenovo read this and that is why they send me a fan. This is not a cooling issue this is an issue with some software or bios from Lenovo. I think your tips are very wellcome with a general topic how to improve overall performance, but in this case it is the wrong thread.

Wolfgang

freakwave10
Fanfold Paper
Views: 506
Message 15 of 40

Re: X1E X1 Extreme throttles at 80C with BIOS Virtualization On

New update from Lenovo.

According to support there is a intel specification that dictates that when Hyper-v enabled then the machine needs to be throttled at 80 degrees.

Can this be the case?

Wolfgang

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 503
Message 16 of 40

Wow. I asked Intel on Twitter. Here's the thread: https://twitter.com/nylemi/status/1097767915368124416

I'm just super skeptical, because I've been trying to Google if there's similar behaviour with other laptops as well and haven't find any mentions of similar issues on other laptops.

It wouldn't hurt if you and others also posted the question to Intel through Twitter to make it slightly more likely to get answered.

freakwave10
Fanfold Paper
Views: 472
Message 17 of 40

I think we will not be able to get anywhere. Intel refused to comment and referred to the vendor.

The only chance is to proof that a P52 doesn’t have the issue. I posted a message on the P/W board.

Metasyntactic
Paper Tape
Views: 468
Message 18 of 40

I'm also hitting this.  I use VT + hyper-v.  It's incredibly frustrating.  Lenovo support has not been helpful at all.

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 443
Message 19 of 40

Yeah, Intel instructed me to contact Lenovo too. I insisted that Intel answer the question though and now they said 'we are currently working on your query and we will get back to you once we have an update.' So maybe we shouldn't completely give up on that yet. @IntelSupport was the right user to contact btw.

In the meantime, I found that using a laptop cooling stand gives some remedy to the issue. I bought Coolermaster Ergostand 3 and with the laptop on it, with the fan on the stand set to highest setting (it's still almost inaudible), I can sometimes get 1100 in Cinebench even with Hyper-V. But that's not consistent - I think 1050 is the average of the runs I've done with that stand.

freakwave10
Fanfold Paper
Views: 429
Message 20 of 40

Just did a test with my Carbon X1 i7-8550U. This machine does not have the issue. I get temperatures > 90 when Hyper-v is enabled.

Using CPU-Z benchmark and comparing the X1 carbon with the X1 extreme, both Hyper-V enabled the single thread performance is same as X1 extreme and with multi thread the X1 Extreme is about 10% faster.

How ridiculous is this?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors