Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

19 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 1 of 4

X1Y G2 inability to convert to Tablet/Tent - Wave Keyboard design questions to troubleshoot

2021-03-05, 18:35 PM

Greetings all,

I recently acquired a couple of preowned X1Y Gen 2 and believe one of them is triggering Unmanageable Key Combinations (constant beeping) when the keys recess into the chassis upon folding. 

The motherboard has been replaced on this unit based on it having a different processor than what it came with and I see a support ticket in the warranty history.

You can tell it is not converting to tablet/tent mode because the touchpad is still active and the onscreen keyboard does not come up as it normally would.

Here is a video if you would like to observe it https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyxqx4tx8emryca/20210222_205750.mp4 (the first 25 seconds demonstrates a working unit).

2 theories with aim for a solution:

1) Hardware fix:

Will a keyboard or motherboard replacement solve this issue?

2) Software Fix:

Is the keyboard supposed to deactivate upon folding/recessing into the chassis? I believe it should because there is no key travel left in this mode which would result in the constant beeping sound from key overflow/Unmanageable Key Combination.

If so, then the command to deactivate the keyboard is not being processed for some reason.

What is the source of this problem and can it be fixed through the operating system?

I really could use some help with this, thank you in advance.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Options

12661 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7255 Signins

749190 Page Views

• Views: 749190
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:X1Y G2 inability to convert to Tablet/Tent - Wave Keyboard design questions to troubleshoot

2021-03-06, 12:47 PM

Hello DAWlife,

Greetings.

Tablet mode switch is a software feature offered on Windows 10 that goes with desktop and laptop and triggers depending on the hardware automatically and can be turned off. This perhaps is something you can check. 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501466-how-to-enable-or-disable-tablet-mode-in-windows-10

If mode can be changed manually (enable /disable tablet mode) then the hardware trigger is one thing to check similar to how detachable device goes to tablet mode when it undocks from the keyboard.

The wave design is more a mechanical feature on the chassis and keys that goes in at certain degree as it folds.

This can be inspected further internally which we hope is just the hinge/ keyboard wave assembly and not the board.

Here is the hardware manual and video guide that can also help.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

spidey101

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

16 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

19 Signins

145 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re:X1Y G2 inability to convert to Tablet/Tent - Wave Keyboard design questions to troubleshoot

2021-03-07, 0:52 AM

Greetings @spidey101,

Thanks for that quick response and helpful links.

I have a major update to share and I'll save you the reading by saying that I have a strong feeling that this issue is driver related now and not hardware.

If you recall from the video I linked, there were 2 units demonstrated; one working and one defective.

Today, I have successfully transplanted the motherboard of the defective unit into the chassis of the working unit and can confirm that the problem still occurs, suggesting that the issue is within the motherboard in some way, and not the keyboard/hinge mechanism. 

Please note that both units have clean Windows installations and driver updates from scratch, with no subsequent changes including tablet mode settings.

Also, allow me to clarify that when I say "tablet mode" I don't mean Windows tablet mode I mean Yoga tablet mode which can be observed as follows (also shown in the video I linked in the OP):

1) Keyboard automatically disabled

2) Touchpad automatically disabled

3) Onscreen keyboard automatically appears upon touching a typeable areas, which does not happen in laptop mode for these units as far as I have observed.

This means that on the problematic unit, even if I manually engage Windows tablet mode, the touchpad will still respond to input and keyboard will constantly trigger key overflow beeping/unmanageable key combinations. 

Options

16 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

19 Signins

145 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-03-09, 14:40 PM

Hello Lenovo community, I really could use some help here.

Seeing that the transplanting the motherboard into a fully function chassis did not solve the problem, is it safe to say that it is a driver issue?

Then what exactly is it in the operating system that responds to the folding mechanism which automatically results in the following?:

1) Disable keyboard;

2) Disable trackpad; and

3) Enable onscreen keyboard upon touching a typeable area.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms